Kirchhoff's Law (thermodynamics), change in heat capacity

In summary, the problem involves calculating the standard enthalpy change (ΔH) at two temperatures (25°C and 927°C) for the reaction WCl4(g) + CH4(g) = WC(s) + 4HCl(g). The given data includes enthalpy change values and heat capacities for each component involved. To calculate ΔH, the equation ΔH(final temp) = ΔH(initial temp) + ΔCp(Tf-Ti) can be used, where ΔCp is the difference in heat capacities between products and reactants. It is important to note that the values given are on a per mole basis and the number of moles involved should be taken into account when using the equation.
pillanoid

Homework Statement

Calculate the standard enthalpy change (##\Delta H##) at 25 degrees Celsius and 927 degrees Cesius for the reaction,
WCl4(g) + CH4(g) = WC(s) + 4HCl(g)

Data:

WCl4(g): ##\Delta H298## = -336 kJ/mole; Cp (heat capacity at constant pressure) = 105.6 J/mol*K
HCl(g): ##\Delta H298## = -92.3 kJ/mole; Cp = 30.5 J/mol*K
CH4(g): ##\Delta H298## = -74.8 kJ/mole; Cp = 59.1 J/mol*K
WC(s): ##\Delta H298## = -40.2 kJ/mole; Cp = 46.5 J/mole*K

Homework Equations

##\Delta H(\text{final temp}) = \Delta H(\text{initial temp}) + \Delta Cp(\text{Tf - Ti})##
##\Delta Cp = \Sigma Cp(\text{products}) - \Sigma Cp(\text{reactants})##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a take-home test, so it doesn't feel right getting help with the actual answer, but I have some specific questions I hope can be clarified for me:

1.) When calculating ##\Delta Cp##, do you multiply each component by the number of moles involved? For instance, for the HCl factor in ##\Delta Cp##, do you multiply Cp for HCl by 4? It seems like you should, but Cp stays in the same units, so the moles wouldn't cancel.

2.) Can I apply the equation for ##\Delta H## (of reaction at 927 degrees Celsius) as I have written above (as in, is it applicable as is, or do I need to do further analysis of this specific situation as Kirchhoff's Law applies?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law in thermodynamics?

Kirchhoff's Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Law of Thermal Radiation, is a principle in thermodynamics that states that the ratio of emissive power to absorptive power of a material at thermal equilibrium is equal to the ratio of its emissivity to its absorptivity.

2. How does Kirchhoff's Law relate to heat capacity?

Kirchhoff's Law is used to explain the relationship between heat capacity and temperature. It states that the change in heat capacity of a material is equal to the change in its emissivity with temperature, multiplied by the change in temperature.

3. What is the significance of Kirchhoff's Law in thermodynamics?

Kirchhoff's Law plays a crucial role in understanding the transfer of thermal energy and radiation in various systems. It is also used in the design and optimization of thermal devices, such as engines and refrigerators.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Law be applied to all materials?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Law is applicable to all materials, regardless of their chemical composition or physical properties. However, the accuracy of its predictions may vary depending on the complexity of the material's structure and the temperature range being studied.

5. How is Kirchhoff's Law experimentally verified?

Kirchhoff's Law can be experimentally verified by measuring the emissivity and absorptivity of a material at different temperatures and comparing it to the predicted values calculated using the law. This can be done using various techniques, such as spectrophotometry or thermal imaging.