What could be causing my discrepancies?

• Thread starter enaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses reproducing the Kronig-Penney E-k diagram and the equations involved. The attempt at a solution involves plotting f(\alpha*a) and then calculating the allowed energy values and k values, but there is a discrepancy in the results. It is suggested to use a different software for precision calculations and to also explore the effect of changing the value of P.
enaj

Homework Statement

reproduce the kronig-penney E-k diagram (nothing more specific than that)

Homework Equations

f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])=P*SIN([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])/([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])+COS([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])
where P is the strength of the potential (I've assumed that it's 3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)
and -1<=f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])<=1

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've plotted f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex]), and as far as I can tell it looks right. But when I try to plot the allowed energy values from that graph against the k values, I get a graph that's a little too regular (though it does have band gaps) and it has no allowed states below ~k=0.6
I may be calculating k wrong. As I understand it, it's equal to the square root of the the energy from the graph of f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex]), since I'm using [tex]\alpha*a[/tex] as my variable, which is related to energy in the same way k is: [tex]\sqrt{ 2mE/\hbar^2}[/tex]

I've attached the graphs I have so far (the spreadsheet I used to calculate them is much too big).

Can anyone see where I might have gone wrong? I've replotted this many times and I can't seem to find it.

Attachments

• bandgapgraph.jpg
    bandgapgraph.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that your software isn't capable of handling precision calculations. I'd recommend using another program, rather than OpenOffice/MS Excel.

As far as the graphs go, they look more or less right; though that non-existence of states below k=0.6 is a little strange--have you changed your value of P to see what effect that has on the graph?

1. What is a Kronig-Penney E-k diagram?

A Kronig-Penney E-k diagram is a graphical representation of the energy (E) versus wavevector (k) relationship for a one-dimensional periodic potential. It is used to describe the energy bands and band gaps of a solid material.

2. How is a Kronig-Penney E-k diagram constructed?

To construct a Kronig-Penney E-k diagram, the periodic potential is represented by a series of delta functions. The Schrödinger equation is then solved for this potential, and the resulting energy eigenvalues are plotted against the corresponding wavevectors.

3. What information can be obtained from a Kronig-Penney E-k diagram?

A Kronig-Penney E-k diagram can provide information about the energy bands, band gaps, and allowed energy states of a material. It can also show how the periodic potential affects the electron energy levels.

4. How does the Kronig-Penney E-k diagram relate to the band structure of a material?

The Kronig-Penney E-k diagram is directly related to the band structure of a material. The energy bands in the diagram correspond to the allowed energy states for electrons in the material, and the band gaps represent energy levels that are not allowed.

5. What applications does the Kronig-Penney E-k diagram have?

The Kronig-Penney E-k diagram is used in the study of condensed matter physics and materials science. It can be used to understand the electronic properties of materials, such as their conductivity and insulating behavior. It is also important in the development of electronic devices, such as transistors and semiconductors.