1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronig-penney E-k diagram

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

reproduce the kronig-penney E-k diagram (nothing more specific than that)

2. Relevant equations
    f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])=P*SIN([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])/([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])+COS([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])
    where P is the strength of the potential (I've assumed that it's 3[tex]\pi[/tex]/2)
    and -1<=f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex])<=1

3. The attempt at a solution
    so far I've plotted f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex]), and as far as I can tell it looks right. But when I try to plot the allowed energy values from that graph against the k values, I get a graph that's a little too regular (though it does have band gaps) and it has no allowed states below ~k=0.6
    I may be calculating k wrong. As I understand it, it's equal to the square root of the the energy from the graph of f([tex]\alpha*a[/tex]), since I'm using [tex]\alpha*a[/tex] as my variable, which is related to energy in the same way k is: [tex]\sqrt{ 2mE/\hbar^2}[/tex]

I've attached the graphs I have so far (the spreadsheet I used to calculate them is much too big).

Can anyone see where I might have gone wrong? I've replotted this many times and I can't seem to find it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    My guess is that your software isn't capable of handling precision calculations. I'd recommend using another program, rather than OpenOffice/MS Excel.

As far as the graphs go, they look more or less right; though that non-existence of states below k=0.6 is a little strange--have you changed your value of P to see what effect that has on the graph?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook