Lab question regarding cylinders

In summary: Different sizes of pipe -- iron pipe, plastic pipe, and so on.Empty "tin" cans of various sizes with the ends cut off.Candles of various sizes. Tissue or tape.
protossadv
hi
im trying to do a lab on rotational inertia of a hollow cylinder
i plan to roll a hollow cylinder down an incline
and see how the inner radius, outer radius, and mass affects the final translational velocity
but i am not sure what i can use for the cylinder
to sufficiently control and alter the variables

does anyone have any ideas?
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Different sizes of pipe -- iron pipe, plastic pipe, and so on.
Empty "tin" cans of various sizes with the ends cut off.
Surely you can think of more...

Try two identical cans of mushroom soup, one at room temperature and one left in the freezer overnight.

An easy way to control other variables such as density might be to use a cylinder in which you can drill holes of different sizes.A broomstick and a candle come to mind.You can get candles of very large radii.

kuruman said:
Try two identical cans of mushroom soup, one at room temperature and one left in the freezer overnight.

Only if it's Campbells mushroom soup:biggrin:

Different sizes of pipe -- iron pipe, plastic pipe, and so on.
Empty "tin" cans of various sizes with the ends cut off.
Surely you can think of more...
pipes are a bad idea because i would need at least 15 data different data values and i can't really slowly increase or reduce the radius
i also need uniform density so i can't use different types of pipes

freezing a can would also just give 2 data values which would not be enough

An easy way to control other variables such as density might be to use a cylinder in which you can drill holes of different sizes.A broomstick and a candle come to mind.You can get candles of very large radii.

i think that's a great idea and its worth a try

but does anyone kno anything kind of like tissue or tape
that i can constantly wrap around to increase the radius?
it would be great if its much thicker than tissue because tissue would take forever to increase the radius

thanks in advance

What is a cylinder and how is it used in a lab?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and straight sides. In a lab, cylinders are commonly used as containers to hold liquids or gases, and as measuring tools for volume.

What are the different types of cylinders used in a lab?

There are two main types of cylinders used in a lab: graduated cylinders and burettes. Graduated cylinders have markings along the side to measure volume, while burettes have a stopcock at the bottom to control the flow of liquid.

Can cylinders be used to measure the volume of irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, cylinders can be used to measure the volume of irregularly shaped objects by a method called displacement. The object is placed in a cylinder filled with water, and the increase in water level is equal to the volume of the object.

How accurate are the measurements obtained from a cylinder?

The accuracy of measurements obtained from a cylinder depends on the precision of the markings on the cylinder and the skill of the person reading the measurements. The smaller the increments between markings, the more accurate the measurement can be.

Is it necessary to calibrate or clean cylinders before use?

Yes, it is important to calibrate or clean cylinders before use to ensure accurate measurements. Cylinders can become dirty or have residue buildup, which can affect the volume readings. Calibration also helps to check the accuracy of the markings on the cylinder.