Landau Lifshitz - Total time derivative of the Lagrangian

In summary, the time derivative of the Lagrangian for a closed system is given by a summation of the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the generalized coordinates and velocities, but it does not include a term for the third derivative of the generalized coordinates. This is because in classical mechanics, the Lagrangian is a function of only the generalized coordinates and velocities, and it is only a function of time if the system is open. For more information, please refer to sections 1 and 2 of the Landau-Lifgarbagez Mechanics book.
omoplata
On page 13 in Landau-Lifgarbagez Mechanics, the total time time derivative of the Lagrangian of a closed system is given to be,

[tex]\frac{d L}{d t} = \sum_i \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} \dot{q_i} + \sum_i \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}} \ddot{q_i}[/tex]

Why does this stop here? I mean, why is the term [itex]\sum_i \frac{\partial L}{\partial \ddot{q_i}} \dddot{q_i}[/itex] not included?

An image of page 13 has been attached.

Attachments

• LandauLifshitz_pg13.jpeg
    LandauLifshitz_pg13.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because in classical mechanics the lagrangian is a function only of generalized coordinates and velocities. Read section 1 and 2 of the same book.

Thanks for the reply Dickfore. You are correct.

It is a function of t only if the system is open.

Thanks. Again you are correct.

1. What is the Landau Lifshitz equation?

The Landau Lifshitz equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the total time derivative of the Lagrangian, which is a function that characterizes the dynamics of a physical system. It is commonly used in the field of theoretical physics to study the behavior of various physical systems.

2. Why is the Landau Lifshitz equation important?

The Landau Lifshitz equation is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of complex physical systems. It is used in a wide range of fields, including condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics, and cosmology, to name a few.

3. How is the Landau Lifshitz equation derived?

The Landau Lifshitz equation is derived using the principle of least action, which states that a physical system will follow the path that minimizes the action (a mathematical quantity that describes the dynamics of the system). By applying this principle to the Lagrangian, the Landau Lifshitz equation can be derived.

4. What are the applications of the Landau Lifshitz equation?

The Landau Lifshitz equation has many practical applications in physics. It is used to study the behavior of magnets, superconductors, and other condensed matter systems. It is also used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics and the evolution of the universe in cosmology.

5. Are there any limitations to the Landau Lifshitz equation?

While the Landau Lifshitz equation is a powerful tool in theoretical physics, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for describing systems that are close to equilibrium and do not exhibit large fluctuations. It also does not take into account quantum effects, so it is not applicable to systems on a very small scale.