Laplace's equation w/ polar coordinates

In summary, the lecturer is trying to explain how ∇2u=0 comes about and how to solve for u. However, they are not sure how it works and need help from the students.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

The lecture notes say that ∇ = urr + (1/r)ur + (1/r2)uθθ. I'm not sure how this comes about. The notes never explain it.

Homework Equations

(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempts on the actual homework problem until this ∇ thing is cleared up.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the "Laplacian" operator, [itex]\partial^2/\partial x^2+ \partial^2/\partial x^2[/itex] in two dimensional xy- coordinates, in polar coordinates.

For [itex]\phi[/itex] any differentiable function of x and y, by the chain rule,
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

Since [itex]r= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)= (1/2)2rcos(\theta)/r= cos(\theta)[/itex]. Since [itex]\theta= artctan(y/x)[/itex],
[tex]\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}= (1./(1+ y^2/x^2))(-(y/x^2)= -y/(x^2+ y^2)= -rsin(\theta)/r^2= -sin(\theta)/r[/tex].

So
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}= cos(\theta)\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}- \frac{sin(\theta)}{r} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Then
[tex]\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial x^2}= cos(\theta)\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(cos(\theta)\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}- \frac{sin(\theta)}{r} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}\right)[/tex][tex]+ \frac{sin(\theta)}{r}\left(cos(\theta)\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}- \frac{sin(\theta)}{r} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}\right)[/tex]

Complete that then do the same for [itex]\partial^2\phi/\partial \theta^2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo. Got it.

HallsofIvy, I have another question if you have the time. I'm trying to solve

2u=0​

with the boundary conditions

u(x,0)=0, u(0,y)=0, u(x,1)=x, u(1,y)=y.​

I've found that u(x,0)=0 and u(0,y)=0 imply

u(x,y)= D * sinh(√kx) * sin(√ky)​

where k was my separation constant.

I then did

u(x,1)=x → uxx(x,1)=0=D * sinh(√kx) * sin(√ky)​

to conclude that √k = n∏ and that our solution is of the form

Ʃn≥1 Dn * sinh(n∏x) * sin(n∏y).​

Finally, I solved for Dn by

u(1,y)=y=Ʃn≥1 Dn * sinh(n∏) * sin(n∏y)
→ Dn * sinh(n∏) = (2/∏)∫[0,∏] y * sin(n∏y) dy.​

Since that gives me a very messy solution for u, I'm assuming it's wrong. Thoughts?

1. What is Laplace's equation with polar coordinates?

Laplace's equation with polar coordinates is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the temperature, pressure, and potential in a two-dimensional space that is symmetric about a central point.

2. How is Laplace's equation with polar coordinates solved?

Laplace's equation with polar coordinates can be solved using separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a product of two functions, one of which only depends on the radial coordinate and the other only on the angular coordinate.

3. What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation with polar coordinates?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation with polar coordinates depend on the physical system being studied. However, some common boundary conditions include a known potential or temperature at the boundary, and a zero gradient at the boundary.

4. What are the applications of Laplace's equation with polar coordinates?

Laplace's equation with polar coordinates has many applications in physics and engineering, including electrostatics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and potential theory. It is also used in geophysics to model gravity and magnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to Laplace's equation with polar coordinates?

Yes, there are limitations to Laplace's equation with polar coordinates. It can only be used for problems that have rotational symmetry and do not have any sources or sinks. It also assumes that the system is in a steady state, meaning that the temperature, pressure, or potential do not change with time.