How Much Heat to Turn Ice at -10°C into Water at 20°C?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem and got the answer wrong. He recommends that others use a website to help with similar problems.
navy_bison

Homework Statement

How much heat is necessary to change 395 g of ice at -10°C to water at 20°C?

Homework Equations

mLf + mc(delta)T

The Attempt at a Solution

(.395kg)(80kcal/kg)+(.395kg)(1.00kcal/kg x 1 deg C)(20--10)
(31.6kcal)+(.395kcal degC)(30)
31.6kcal + 11.85 kcal=43.45 kcal

I got the answer wrong obviously, the correct answer should be 41.5 kcal. Please help me, my teacher isn't so great and an explanation as to where I went astray would be appreciated. Thanks
navy_bison: zzz:

Physics news on Phys.org
i. Heating 395g ice at -10C to 0C
0.395[kg]*10[k]*2100[J/kg*K] = 8295J

ii. Melting 395g ice
0.395 * 333000 = 131535 J

iii. heating 0C water to 20C
0.395 * 20 * 4190 = 33101J

total = 172931 J
1kcal = 4 184 J

172931J = 41.34 kcal [depends on what values on the specific heat constants you use, and so on]

What is the general formula for figuring the latent heat using J? The example in my book (it's been 10 years since a science class for me) only uses the kcals to calculate the number. I'm not understanding exactly where the numbers you've used are coming from. Is there a good website that you know of that could go more indepth?

I used the number from my textbook.. It doesent matter what units you have, you can always convert them.

There is only one general forumula for calculating latent heat:
mass * coefficient[energy/units of mass] = Energy

Thanks for the help, I've found a table that represents these specific heat vaules. I understand know that the ice must be heated, then melted (latent), then heated again. Add these up and get the answer. Thank you so much for the help. Recommending this site to all the people in my class!

navy_bison said:
Thanks for the help, I've found a table that represents these specific heat vaules. I understand know that the ice must be heated, then melted (latent), then heated again. Add these up and get the answer. Thank you so much for the help. Recommending this site to all the people in my class!

good luck!

hehe but remember to contribute with help yourselves... and also to search a bit for old topics considering similar problems.

1. What is latent heat and how is it measured?

Latent heat is the amount of heat that is absorbed or released by a substance when it undergoes a change in state, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. It is measured in units of energy per unit mass, typically in kilocalories (kcals) for scientific purposes.

2. How does latent heat affect the temperature of a substance?

Latent heat does not affect the temperature of a substance directly. Instead, it causes a change in the state of the substance, resulting in a plateau in temperature during the transition from one state to another. Once the transition is complete, the temperature will continue to rise or fall depending on the heat added or removed.

3. What is the difference between latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state, while the latent heat of vaporization is the amount of heat required to change a substance from a liquid to a gas state. Both values are measured in kcals and are specific to each substance.

4. How is latent heat utilized in everyday life?

Latent heat is utilized in many ways in everyday life. For example, it is used in refrigeration systems to keep food and drinks cold. When a refrigerant absorbs heat from the surrounding environment, it undergoes a phase change, releasing latent heat and cooling the surrounding area. Latent heat is also used in cooking, such as when water is boiled to cook pasta or steam vegetables.

5. What factors can affect the latent heat of a substance?

The latent heat of a substance can be affected by several factors, including the substance's molecular structure, pressure, and temperature. In addition, impurities or additives in a substance can also alter its latent heat. For example, adding salt to water can increase its latent heat of fusion, causing it to freeze at a lower temperature.