Mastering the Law of Sines: Troubleshooting Trig Problems

• Thread starter USN2ENG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the user is having trouble with using the law of sines, and is having to use logic to solve the problem.
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

So, I am brushing up on my trig...and now I feel a bit slow.
I am attempting to use the law of sines for the attached problem and keep getting the wrong angle. For some reason I never learned the law of sines/cosines before today...

Homework Equations

A/Sin(a) = B/Sin(b) = C/Sin(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

4/sin(27)=5/sin(theta) then...
arcsin(5*sin(27)/4) = theta = 34.6

I know this is the angle beside it, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• LawofSines.jpg
    LawofSines.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The downfall of using the law of sines is that you can get the wrong answer when the angle is obtuse as you can see from the picture. Do you know how you can fix the "answer" of 34.58°?

The problem is that the arcsine doesn't give the value you want.

Basically, what arcsine does is it takes a value x in [-1,1] and it gives you an angle [itex]\theta\in [-90^\circ, 90^\circ][/itex] such that [itex]\sin(\theta)=x[/itex].

But this [itex]\theta[/itex] isn't the only angle such that [itex]\sin(\theta)=x[/itex]! Indeed [itex]\pi-\theta[/itex] is also such an angle. Unfortunately, the arcsine can only give you one answer instead of all the angles that satisfy (otherwise, your calculator would have to give you infinitely many values) and it chooses to ignore [itex]\pi-\theta[/itex].

The user should know that if he gets [itex]\theta[/itex] as an answer, that [itex]\pi-\theta[/itex] is also a good answer to the question and that [itex]\theta[/itex] might be the wrong answer. This is indeed the case here.

Ahhh, ok, so apparently I need to use some logic too...haha. Thank you so much for the help. I was able to solve it by solving for the right triangle and then solving for the attached triangle, but this method tripped me up, unfortunately. Thank you all again for the explanation.

1. What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a trigonometric rule that relates the angles and sides of a non-right triangle. It states that the ratio of the length of a side to the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles of a given triangle.

2. How do I use the Law of Sines?

To use the Law of Sines, you need to know at least one angle and its opposite side, or two angles and one side of a triangle. Then, you can use the formula: sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c, where A, B, and C represent the angles, and a, b, and c represent the sides of the triangle.

3. Can I use the Law of Sines for any triangle?

No, the Law of Sines can only be used for non-right triangles, also known as oblique triangles. It cannot be applied to right triangles because they have a fixed relationship between their sides and angles, known as the Pythagorean Theorem.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the Law of Sines?

One common mistake is using the wrong units for the given angles. The Law of Sines requires that the angles be in radians, not degrees. Another mistake is using the wrong formula for the given information. Make sure to use the correct formula based on the given values.

5. Why do I get an error when using the Law of Sines?

There could be several reasons why you are getting an error when using the Law of Sines. Some common reasons include not having enough information to solve the triangle, using the wrong units for the angles, or making a calculation error. Double-check your work and make sure you have all the necessary information before using the Law of Sines.