LC Circuit Oscillations: Check My Work and Find Energy and Frequency Details

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with 4 elements connected in series, including capacitors and inductors. The initial voltages across the capacitors are calculated and the initial electrical and magnetic energy stored in the circuit are determined. The total inductance and capacitance of the circuit are also calculated. The frequency of oscillations in the circuit is found, and the functions q(t), i(t), and di/dt are computed.
davegillmour
I'm not too confident in my work for this problem, so I was wondering if someone could check it over for me.

Consider a circuit with 4 elements, C1=100micro farads, C2=50micro farads, L1=20mH, and L2=10mH. At t=0, the capacitors are charged with Q=0.01 Coulomb. There is initially no current. (all 4 are connected in series)

a) What are the voltages across the capacitors?
V1=(1/C1)Q=(1/100micro farads)0.01= 100 Volts
V2=(1/50micro farads)0.01= 200 Volts
b)How much electrical and magnetic energy, respectively is stored in the circuit initially?
Ue=electric energy=q^2/(2C)
1/C=1/C1 +1/C2 C=33.3micro Farads
0.01^2/(2*33.3micro farads)=1.50 J
Ub=magnetic energy=(L*i^2)/2
i(initial)=0 so magnetic energy=0
c)What is the total inductance of the circuit.
L=L1+L2=20mH+10mH= 30mH
d)What is the total capacitance?
1/C=1/C1 + 1/C2 C=33.3micro farads
e)What is the frequency of oscillations in the circuit?
w=sqrt[1/(LC)] = sqrt[1/(30mH * 33.3micro farads)] = 1000 rad/s
f)What is q(t)? Make sure it satisfies q(0)=Q
q(t) = Qcos(wt + phi)
q(t) = (0.01)Cos(1000t) <---is the phase constant zero?
g)Compute i(t)= dq/dt
dq/dt= -10Sin(1000t)
h)Compute di/dt=d^2(q)/dt^2
di/dt= -10000Cos(1000t)

Thanks a lot to anyone who can do me this favor.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, the phase constant is zero since qharge on Cap's is maximum at t=0.
This is verified by the current being zero at t=0 (from the sine).

I am happy to review your work and provide feedback. Your calculations for the voltages across the capacitors and the total inductance and capacitance are correct. However, there are a few things to consider for the other parts of the problem:

b) The formula for electric energy stored in a capacitor is Ue=Q^2/(2C), not q^2/(2C). Remember that Q is the total charge on the capacitor, while q is the charge at a specific time t. So the correct calculation would be Ue=(0.01)^2/(2*33.3micro farads)=0.000005 J. For magnetic energy, it is true that at t=0, the initial current is 0, so there is no magnetic energy stored.

c) Your calculation for the total inductance is correct.

d) Your calculation for the total capacitance is incorrect. The correct calculation would be C=1/(1/C1 + 1/C2) = 33.3 micro farads.

e) Your calculation for the frequency of oscillations is also incorrect. The correct formula is w=1/sqrt(LC)=1/sqrt(30mH*33.3micro farads)= 816.5 rad/s.

f) q(t) is the charge on the capacitor at any given time t, so it cannot be a constant value of 0. The correct formula for q(t) would be q(t)=Qcos(wt + phi). The phase constant phi can be calculated using the initial conditions, in this case q(0)=Q=0.01 Coulomb. So phi=0.

g) Your calculation for i(t) is correct.

h) Your calculation for di/dt is also correct.

Overall, your work is mostly correct, but it's important to pay attention to the units and formulas being used. I hope this helps and good luck with your further studies!

Related to LC Circuit Oscillations: Check My Work and Find Energy and Frequency Details

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is also known as a resonant circuit as it can store and release energy in the form of oscillations.

2. How do LC circuits produce oscillations?

When an LC circuit is charged with electric current, the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field, while the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. As the magnetic field collapses, it generates an electric current in the opposite direction, causing the capacitor to discharge. This cycle continues, creating an alternating current or oscillations.

3. What is the formula for calculating the resonant frequency of an LC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an LC circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the resonant frequency in hertz (Hz), L is the inductance in henries (H), and C is the capacitance in farads (F).

4. How can I check my work for LC circuit oscillations?

To check your work for LC circuit oscillations, you can use a circuit simulator or an oscilloscope to visualize the oscillations. You can also calculate the resonant frequency and compare it with the expected value to ensure accuracy.

5. What factors can affect the oscillations in an LC circuit?

The oscillations in an LC circuit can be affected by the values of the inductance and capacitance, as well as the resistance in the circuit. External factors such as temperature, magnetic fields, and interference can also impact the oscillations.