Leak detection based on pressure

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the pressure and flow rates in a pipeline with 100mm and 150mm pipes. In the first scenario, where there is no flow and the pipes are horizontal, the pressure is the same throughout the pipeline. In the second scenario, where there is a leak in the 100mm pipe, the formula to calculate the pressure difference depends on the setup and Bernoulli's principle may be useful. The conversation also discusses how to determine the leakage rates in different parts of the pipeline using valves and flow meters.
darren000
Could someone please help me with this??

I am working on a problem with 2 pipes, one 100mm and one 150mm in diameter. The shape of the pipeline is a square. Majority is the 100mm pipe and the other is 150mm pipe.

1.If entire pipeline is filled with water, no leak and no supply, is pressure the same through out the pipeline?

2. If no supply, and there is a leak point on the 100mm pipe at a rate of 1 L/min. what formula should I use to calculate the pressure difference?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1.If entire pipeline is filled with water, no leak and no supply, is pressure the same through out the pipeline?
Without flow and if the pipes are horizontal (or without gravity), yes.

2. If no supply, and there is a leak point on the 100mm pipe at a rate of 1 L/min. what formula should I use to calculate the pressure difference?
Depends on the setup. Bernoulli's principle might be useful, but you really have to take the setup into account.

Thanks for replying mfb,

Please help me little further. I have attached a drawing of this problem.

As you can see. My task is to determine if there are any leak in this pipe network.(sorry, 100mm PVC is on the left side of A until 50mm Blow-Off, rest is 150mm)

1.If I close valve C and A, can I calculate the leaking rate of the leak 3 and leak 1 using following steps? Since I have supply flow rate and pressure, I can calculate initial velocity, then I can use the pressure on the port to calculate the velocity at the outlet near pressure monitoring port. With velocity and pressure at the port, I can calculate the output flow rate.
I'm stuck here. if I minus outlet flow rate from inlet. Does that = to the rate of leaking??

2.Any idea how I can determine leakage on the left side of valve A? (Shut valve B and see if outlet flow is same as what we found before considering leak 3 and leak 1. If flow rate is the same, then there is no leaking on the left side of valve A). Is my thought on the right track?

Thank You very much for helping.

Very Appreciate

Attachments

• 12-07-2012.pdf
    548.7 KB · Views: 182
In setup 1, is there any flow apart from Supply->leaks1+3? If not, there is no flow at the 100mm<->150mm-transition and pressure is the same at both sides. If your flow meter measures flow itself, that should be the same as the flow through the leaks, right? If it just measures velocity, you can use the measured pressure to calculate flow.

2) Closing B and opening A C D should work - if you know the flow through leak 1+3 (as determined in 1), you can calculate the total leakage again and find the contributions from the other leaks. If flow is significant, you might have to consider pressure differences in the 100mm<->150mm-transitions or in the pipes itself (again, depends on the setup).

1. What is leak detection based on pressure?

Leak detection based on pressure is a method used to identify and locate leaks in a system or structure by measuring changes in pressure. It is commonly used in pipelines, tanks, and other industrial systems.

2. How does leak detection based on pressure work?

The process involves measuring the pressure at different points in a system and comparing the readings to identify any discrepancies. A sudden drop in pressure indicates a potential leak, which can then be further investigated and repaired.

3. What are the advantages of using leak detection based on pressure?

One of the main advantages is that it is a non-invasive method, meaning it does not require any physical access to the system. It is also a highly accurate and efficient way to detect leaks, allowing for quick repairs and preventing further damage.

4. Are there any limitations to leak detection based on pressure?

Yes, this method may not be suitable for detecting small leaks or leaks in hard-to-reach areas. It also requires a stable and consistent pressure in the system to provide accurate readings.

5. How can leak detection based on pressure be used for preventative maintenance?

Regularly monitoring pressure levels can help identify potential leaks before they become a major issue. This can save time and resources by allowing for timely repairs and preventing costly damages.