Lewis Structure Help: CH3NCO Bonding Scheme

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lewis structure and bonding scheme for CH3NCO, potentially referring to methyl cyanate. The proposed structure includes a carbon-nitrogen triple bond and a methyl group attached to the second carbon. The formal charges for all atoms are calculated to be 0 for oxygen, carbon, and nitrogen, and 1 for all hydrogen atoms. Further clarification is needed on the specific molecule being discussed.
Rasine
i am attempting to figure out the lewis structure/ bonding scheme for CH3NCO.

so far i have: O=C=C-N-H
l l
H H
the Hs are attached to the second C then the N

the formal charges seem to be ok

i have a formal charge of 0 for O, C, N
i have a formal charge of 1 for all the H

what do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your methyl group (CH3) should be together.

Rasine said:
i am attempting to figure out the lewis structure/ bonding scheme for CH3NCO.

so far i have: O=C=C-N-H
l l
H H
the Hs are attached to the second C then the N

the formal charges seem to be ok

i have a formal charge of 0 for O, C, N
i have a formal charge of 1 for all the H

what do you think?

Perhaps you are referring to methyl cyanate (CH3OCN) ?
[tex]{\text{H}}\mathop {\text{C}} \limits_{\text{H}}^{\text{H}} {- \text{O}} - {\text{C}} \equiv {\text{N}}[/tex]

Otherwise, as written, "CH3NCO" refers to
[tex]{\text{H}}\mathop {\text{C}}\limits_{\text{H}}^{\text{H}} - {\text{N}} = {\text{C}} = {\text{O}}[/tex]

(*:smile: perhaps we should implement a [tex]\LaTeX[/tex] for molecular structures?)

Last edited:

1. What is a Lewis structure?

A Lewis structure is a diagram that shows the bonding between atoms in a molecule or ion. It consists of symbols for atoms and lines representing chemical bonds.

2. How do I draw the Lewis structure for CH3NCO?

To draw the Lewis structure for CH3NCO, first determine the total number of valence electrons in the molecule. In this case, there are 14 valence electrons. Then, arrange the atoms in a way that minimizes repulsion between them. In CH3NCO, the carbon and nitrogen atoms will be bonded to each other, and the oxygen and hydrogen atoms will be bonded to the carbon atom. Next, connect the atoms with single bonds and distribute the remaining electrons to satisfy the octet rule for each atom.

3. What is the bond order in CH3NCO?

The bond order in CH3NCO is 1, as each bond between the atoms is a single bond.

4. Is CH3NCO polar or nonpolar?

CH3NCO is polar because it has a net dipole moment due to the unequal distribution of electrons caused by the difference in electronegativities between the atoms.

5. Are there any resonance structures for CH3NCO?

Yes, there are two resonance structures for CH3NCO. In the first structure, the double bond is between the carbon and nitrogen atoms, and in the second structure, the double bond is between the nitrogen and oxygen atoms. These two structures contribute to the overall hybrid structure of CH3NCO.