Thank you!Lewis Structure Problems

In summary, the first problem involves determining the correct Lewis structure for SeF2 and the second problem involves identifying a molecule with a multiple bond. For the first problem, the correct answers are a) The structure has 20 valence electrons and d) Although there are different ways to draw the structure, only one is correct. For the second problem, the correct answer is b) C2H2.
miss.strw
Lewis structure (Related! - Please Help!)

I have 2 problems, please help me!please! thank you so much!

Homework Statement

Can you tell me if I am correct?Thank you so much!I tried acd and ac but it's wrong! :( 1. Which of the following are true about the correct Lewis structure of the SeF2 molecule ?

a) The structure has 20 valence electrons.
b) One of the F atoms would be the central atom as it has a greater number of valence electrons than an Se atom.
c) Only the Se atom has an octet of electrons.
d) Although there are different ways to draw the structure, only one is correct.
The attempt at a solution
I tried acd and ac but it's wrong! :(

2. Which of the following molecules has a Lewis Structure that contains a multiple bond ?

a) Cl2

b) C2H2

c) CO

d) N2

e) SeF2

I tried b, bd, bde, and be but it's all wrong! :( Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For number 1, look at the periodic table to know their valence electrons, and notice how two flourines are attached to the selenium. Notice how selenium has two holes, while each fluoride has one hole. The one hole in the flourine leaves one lonely electron without a pair. Did you try actually drawing them? It helps. ^_^

IBY said:
For number 1, look at the periodic table to know their valence electrons, and notice how two flourines are attached to the selenium. Notice how selenium has two holes, while each fluoride has one hole. The one hole in the flourine leaves one lonely electron without a pair. Did you try actually drawing them? It helps. ^_^

So the answer is a,d ONLY?

a) The structure has 20 valence electrons. (I calculated it it's is 20 valence)
b) One of the F atoms would be the central atom as it has a greater number of valence electrons than an Se atom. (It is Se not F)
c) Only the Se atom has an octet of electrons. (Se does not since u talk about the holes" electrons.)
d) Although there are different ways to draw the structure, only one is correct. (Not sure but maybe?)

Last edited:

Please help me anyone. I am so confused!

Last edited:

A is certainly true, and D is probably true too. I do not see any other way to fill in the holes of all three atoms without that configuration.

miss.strw said:
I have 2 problems, please help me!please! thank you so much!

Homework Statement

Can you tell me if I am correct?Thank you so much!I tried acd and ac but it's wrong! :(

1. Which of the following are true about the correct Lewis structure of the SeF2 molecule ?

a) The structure has 20 valence electrons.
b) One of the F atoms would be the central atom as it has a greater number of valence electrons than an Se atom.
c) Only the Se atom has an octet of electrons.
d) Although there are different ways to draw the structure, only one is correct.
I tried acd and ac but it's wrong! :(

2. Which of the following molecules has a Lewis Structure that contains a multiple bond ?

a) Cl2

b) C2H2

c) CO

d) N2

e) SeF2

I tried b, bd, bde, and be but it's all wrong! :( Help!

I merged your multiple threads with the same question. Please do not multiple post.

Also, you are required to show some effort on your schoolwork questions. Show us how you are approaching these questions.

1. What is a Lewis structure?

A Lewis structure is a diagram or model that represents the valence electrons and bonding pattern of an atom or molecule. It is used to show the arrangement of atoms and the sharing or transfer of electrons in a molecule.

2. How do you draw a Lewis structure?

To draw a Lewis structure, you first need to determine the total number of valence electrons for all atoms in the molecule. Then, use the octet rule to determine the number of bonds and lone pairs of electrons. Finally, arrange the atoms and connect them with single, double, or triple bonds to satisfy the octet rule for each atom.

3. What is the purpose of a Lewis structure?

The purpose of a Lewis structure is to provide a visual representation of the bonding and electron distribution in a molecule. It helps to predict the molecular geometry, polarity, and reactivity of a compound.

4. Can a Lewis structure have multiple valid forms?

Yes, some molecules can have different valid Lewis structures, known as resonance structures. This occurs when there are multiple possible ways to arrange the electrons in the molecule while satisfying the octet rule for all atoms.

5. How do you determine the formal charge in a Lewis structure?

The formal charge of an atom in a Lewis structure is calculated by subtracting the number of non-bonding electrons and half the number of bonding electrons from the total number of valence electrons for that atom. A formal charge of 0 is preferred, but the most stable Lewis structure will have the smallest formal charges for each atom.