Line Charge+ insulating Cylindrical Shell

In summary, the infinite line of charge with linear density λ = 8.8 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.9 cm and outer radius b = 4.1 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -659 μC/m3. The value of Ey(P), the y-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 8.4 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge, is Ey(P) = -8.5 V/m.
hime

Homework Statement

An infinite line of charge with linear density λ = 8.8 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.9 cm and outer radius b = 4.1 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -659 μC/m3.

What is λ2, the linear charge density of the insulating shell?

What is Ey(P), the value of the y-component of the electric field at point P, located a distance 8.4 cm along the y-axis from the line of charge?

Homework Equations

E.dA = Q/Epsilon nought
Q=rhow*V in terms of volume charge density
Q=lambda*L in terms of linear charge density

The Attempt at a Solution

λ2 = rhow/Surface Area of the Spherical Shell
λ2 = -659 μC/m3 * 4*pi* .041^2 = -13.9 μC/m

but this is wrong! why?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, it's a cylindrical shell, not a spherical shell. For another, they want the linear charge density, which is the charge per unit length.

well how do i go from the surface charge density to linear charge density..is there a formula for that?

hime said:
well how do i go from the surface charge density to linear charge density..is there a formula for that?
You have a volume charge density. Find the total charge per length of that cylindrical shell. (First find the volume between the inner and outer radii.)

yeah sry for those typos.
anyway, we find the volume of the shell by using formula:
=(Area of outer base-Area of inner base) * Length
=pi*(.041^2-.029^2) *Length
But i do not know the length of the cylinder, that's the main problem I am facing.

hime said:
But i do not know the length of the cylinder, that's the main problem I am facing.
You don't need to know the length. You want the charge per unit length.

oh got it! Volume charge density*Area of the shell = Linear charge density which is
-659*pi*(.041^2-.029^2)=-1.74e-6 C/m

Now, how do I find E(y) at P? Do I just use E = q/(epsilon nought * Area of the Gaussian cylinder at P) or do I use the linear charge density in the formula?

Whichever way you do it, you'll end up needing the linear charge density. (You'll need it to find the charge within your Gaussian surface, for example.)

Related to Line Charge+ insulating Cylindrical Shell

1. What is a line charge?

A line charge is an imaginary line that represents an infinitely long charged wire. It is used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations involving electric fields and forces.

2. What is an insulating cylindrical shell?

An insulating cylindrical shell is a hollow, cylindrical object made of a material that does not conduct electricity. It is used to contain and protect a line charge from external influences.

3. How does a line charge interact with an insulating cylindrical shell?

A line charge will induce an electric field on the surface of the insulating cylindrical shell, causing the electrons in the material to rearrange. This results in an opposite charge being attracted to the surface of the shell, creating a shielding effect.

4. What are the applications of a line charge+ insulating cylindrical shell system?

This system is commonly used in electrostatics experiments and in the design of electrical equipment, such as capacitors. It can also be used to model the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators.

5. How is the electric field calculated for a line charge+ insulating cylindrical shell system?

The electric field can be calculated using the superposition principle, where the electric field from the line charge and the electric field from the induced charges on the insulating cylindrical shell are added together. The calculation can be simplified by using Gauss's Law and symmetry arguments.