1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lines And Planes Query

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1
    Help!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,
    This is my very first post on physics forum! I was wondering if anyone could help explain to me how to find the coordinates of a point where a line intersects a plane.
    The question i'm trying to do has given the line as r= (2, 7, -5) + t(1, 2, -1) and the plane as 2x + 3y - z=3.
    Any advice or help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The x,y and z coordinates of the points on the line are (2+t, 7+2t, -5-t) right?
    Now those coordinates have to satisfy 2x+3y-z=3 to be in the plane. Just plug it in and see for what value it t they are.

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Saying the line is given by the vector equation r= (2,7,-5)+ t(1, 2, -1) is the same as saying it is given by the parametric equations x= 2+ t, y= 7+ 2t, z= -5- t. Replace x, y, z in the equation of the plane to get an equation for t and solve.

5. Sep 3, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there E=mc2 and welcome to PF,

According to the rules of this forum, you must show some of your own efforts in order to gain assistance. However, if I may offer you the hint that any point of intersection must satisfy the equation of both the line and plane.

Edit: Halls beat me to it; I must learn to type faster. :smile:

6. Sep 3, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please don't double post E=mc2.

7. Sep 3, 2006 #6
    Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate it. Sorry about the double post Hootenanny and beleive me i made some effort but yeah didn't really show it, sorry about that. Won't happen again.
    Thank you again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?