Solving Line-Plane Intersection: Tips and Guidance

In summary, when trying to find the coordinates of a point where a line intersects a plane, you must solve for t using the parametric equations x= 2+ t, y= 7+ 2t, z= -5- t.
E=m(C)^2
Help!

Hi everyone,
This is my very first post on physics forum! I was wondering if anyone could help explain to me how to find the coordinates of a point where a line intersects a plane.
The question I'm trying to do has given the line as r= (2, 7, -5) + t(1, 2, -1) and the plane as 2x + 3y - z=3.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The x,y and z coordinates of the points on the line are (2+t, 7+2t, -5-t) right?
Now those coordinates have to satisfy 2x+3y-z=3 to be in the plane. Just plug it in and see for what value it t they are.

E=m(C)^2 said:
Hi everyone,
This is my very first post on physics forum! I was wondering if anyone could help explain to me how to find the coordinates of a point where a line intersects a plane.
The question I'm trying to do has given the line as r= (2, 7, -5) + t(1, 2, -1) and the plane as 2x + 3y - z=3.
Any advice or help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Saying the line is given by the vector equation r= (2,7,-5)+ t(1, 2, -1) is the same as saying it is given by the parametric equations x= 2+ t, y= 7+ 2t, z= -5- t. Replace x, y, z in the equation of the plane to get an equation for t and solve.

Hi there E=mc2 and welcome to PF,

According to the rules of this forum, you must show some of your own efforts in order to gain assistance. However, if I may offer you the hint that any point of intersection must satisfy the equation of both the line and plane.

Edit: Halls beat me to it; I must learn to type faster. :smile:

Please don't double post E=mc2.

Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate it. Sorry about the double post Hootenanny and believe me i made some effort but yeah didn't really show it, sorry about that. Won't happen again.
Thank you again.

1. What is a "Lines And Planes Query"?

A "Lines And Planes Query" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the intersection between a line and a plane in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in geometry and physics to solve problems involving points, lines, and planes.

2. How do you solve a "Lines And Planes Query"?

To solve a "Lines And Planes Query", you can use a variety of methods such as the point-normal form, the vector equation of a line, or the parametric equations of a line. You will need to have the equations for both the line and the plane to find their intersection point.

3. What is the importance of "Lines And Planes Query" in science?

"Lines And Planes Query" is important in science as it helps us understand the relationships between points, lines, and planes in three-dimensional space. It is particularly useful in physics, engineering, and computer graphics for solving problems involving objects in 3D environments.

4. Can "Lines And Planes Query" be applied in other fields besides science?

Yes, "Lines And Planes Query" can be applied in other fields such as architecture, art, and design. It is commonly used in creating 3D models and designs, as well as in constructing buildings and structures.

5. Are there any real-world applications of "Lines And Planes Query"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of "Lines And Planes Query". For example, it is used in aviation to calculate the flight paths of airplanes, in navigation systems to determine the location of objects, and in robotics to program the movements of robots in a three-dimensional space.