Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lines And Planes Query

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1
    Help!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,
    This is my very first post on physics forum! I was wondering if anyone could help explain to me how to find the coordinates of a point where a line intersects a plane.
    The question i'm trying to do has given the line as r= (2, 7, -5) + t(1, 2, -1) and the plane as 2x + 3y - z=3.
    Any advice or help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The x,y and z coordinates of the points on the line are (2+t, 7+2t, -5-t) right?
    Now those coordinates have to satisfy 2x+3y-z=3 to be in the plane. Just plug it in and see for what value it t they are.

4. Sep 3, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Saying the line is given by the vector equation r= (2,7,-5)+ t(1, 2, -1) is the same as saying it is given by the parametric equations x= 2+ t, y= 7+ 2t, z= -5- t. Replace x, y, z in the equation of the plane to get an equation for t and solve.

5. Sep 3, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there E=mc2 and welcome to PF,

According to the rules of this forum, you must show some of your own efforts in order to gain assistance. However, if I may offer you the hint that any point of intersection must satisfy the equation of both the line and plane.

Edit: Halls beat me to it; I must learn to type faster. :smile:

6. Sep 3, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please don't double post E=mc2.

7. Sep 3, 2006 #6
    Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate it. Sorry about the double post Hootenanny and beleive me i made some effort but yeah didn't really show it, sorry about that. Won't happen again.
    Thank you again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook