Liquid to gas expansion temperature change in a tank

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the final temperature of a tank with a changing volume and pressure due to boiling liquid. The question was whether there was a formula that could incorporate the energy of phase change to determine the temperature. The response mentioned Charlie's law and the first law of thermodynamics, but also asked for a specific problem to focus on.
PHstud
Hello !

I have troube doing a calculation.

Let's say we have a volume Vi in a tank at a pressure Pi. If I let my tank open, the tank's liquid will start to boil to keep the pressure Pi inside the tank. Now, at the end, I will have a volume Vf in the tank, and still a pressure Pi.
But the temperature of the tank will have dropped (lets consider adiabatic), which formula could I use to find the final Temperature ? (Maybe using energy of phase change?)

Thank you !

Science news on Phys.org
Think logically man,remember Charlie's law stating pressure inversely proportional to temperature.
Please examine whether the substance is volatile or not

PHstud said:
Hello !

I have troube doing a calculation.

Let's say we have a volume Vi in a tank at a pressure Pi. If I let my tank open, the tank's liquid will start to boil to keep the pressure Pi inside the tank. Now, at the end, I will have a volume Vf in the tank, and still a pressure Pi.
But the temperature of the tank will have dropped (lets consider adiabatic), which formula could I use to find the final Temperature ? (Maybe using energy of phase change?)

Thank you !
Is this a homework problem?

Do you have a specific problem that you can focus on? The basic relationship, derived from the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics, is that the rate of change of total internal energy within the tank is equal to mass rate of vapor exiting times the enthalpy of the exiting vapor.

Likes John Dalton
Apologies my man.I have made a mistake.won't do this again.

Related to Liquid to gas expansion temperature change in a tank

What is the process of liquid to gas expansion?

The process of liquid to gas expansion is when a liquid substance is heated and its molecules gain energy, causing them to move faster and spread out. This results in an increase in the volume of the liquid, leading to a change in its physical state from liquid to gas.

What factors affect the expansion of liquid to gas in a tank?

There are several factors that can affect the expansion of liquid to gas in a tank, including temperature, pressure, and the properties of the liquid itself, such as its boiling point and heat capacity.

How does temperature change affect the expansion of a liquid to gas in a tank?

An increase in temperature causes the molecules of a liquid to gain energy and move faster, leading to an increase in the volume of the liquid as it expands into a gas. Conversely, a decrease in temperature causes the molecules to lose energy and move slower, resulting in a decrease in volume as the gas condenses back into a liquid.

What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in the expansion of liquid to gas?

According to the ideal gas law, there is an inverse relationship between temperature and pressure when a gas expands. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. This relationship also holds true for the expansion of liquid to gas in a tank.

How can the expansion of liquid to gas in a tank be controlled?

The expansion of liquid to gas in a tank can be controlled by regulating the temperature and pressure within the tank. This can be achieved through the use of insulation to maintain a specific temperature, or by adjusting the pressure using valves or pumps. Additionally, choosing a liquid with a lower boiling point can also help control the expansion of liquid to gas in a tank.