1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Liquid to gas expansion temperature change in a tank

1. Jun 1, 2017 #1
    Hello !

I have troube doing a calculation.

Let's say we have a volume Vi in a tank at a pressure Pi. If I let my tank open, the tank's liquid will start to boil to keep the pressure Pi inside the tank. Now, at the end, I will have a volume Vf in the tank, and still a pressure Pi.
    But the temperature of the tank will have dropped (lets consider adiabatic), which formula could I use to find the final Temperature ? (Maybe using energy of phase change?)

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #2
    Think logically man,remember Charlie's law stating pressure inversely proportional to temperature.
    Please examine whether the substance is volatile or not

4. Jun 4, 2017 #3
    Is this a homework problem?

Do you have a specific problem that you can focus on? The basic relationship, derived from the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics, is that the rate of change of total internal energy within the tank is equal to mass rate of vapor exiting times the enthalpy of the exiting vapor.

5. Jun 4, 2017 #4
    Apologies my man.I have made a mistake.won't do this again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted