Looking for supplementary physics book

In summary, the speaker is looking for a book with a large amount of practice problems for their general physics course. They are specifically interested in kinematics and want problems that are algebra-based. They have already exhausted the practice problems in their textbook and are seeking additional resources. One suggestion is to use a Schaum book on a specific topic. Another recommendation is the book "Problems in General Physics" by Irodov, which contains challenging problems that require critical thinking.
DarkMatter
Hi all, first post here. I ran into this site after googling for some help with Epsilon-Delta proofs for my calculus course. I like what I see here! Anyway, on to my question:

I'm currently enrolled in a first-semester General Physics course that is algebra based, no calculus (though I am taking a first-semester calculus course as well). What I'm looking for is a book with lots of practice problems! My textbook (College Physics by Wilson/Buffa) has a good amount of practice problems, but once I've done with those I always want more to do - practice makes perfect, right? I'm currently doing the chapter on kinematics, and as such I want lots of kinematic problems of all types and flavors, but my text only has so much. So I'm looking for a book with a large amount of problems (ALGEBRA based) for all the different sub-topics that one would run into in a general physics course.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a book on specific topics, than find a Schaum on topic you are interested in. (I can't imagine a topic not coverd in Schaum)
My recomendation on general physics, collection of briliant problems... Irodov - Problems in general physics. You'll find all kinds of problems there, problems that make you think.

I understand the importance of practice in mastering any subject, especially physics. I would recommend checking out the Schaum's Outline series for Physics. They have a variety of books focused on different topics in physics, including kinematics. These books are known for their extensive practice problems and clear explanations. Additionally, you can also try searching for online resources or practice problem sets specific to your textbook or course. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Looking for supplementary physics book

1. What are the best supplementary physics books for beginners?

The best supplementary physics books for beginners will depend on the individual's level of understanding and the specific topics they want to focus on. Some popular options include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It's important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics you are interested in.

2. Are there any online resources or ebooks available as supplementary physics materials?

Yes, there are many online resources and ebooks available for physics students. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and OpenStax. These resources offer a variety of supplementary materials such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and video tutorials.

3. Can you recommend any supplementary physics books for advanced students?

For advanced students, some recommended supplementary physics books include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, and "Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. These books cover more complex topics and provide in-depth explanations and problem-solving exercises.

4. Are there any supplementary physics books that focus on specific topics, such as astrophysics or thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many supplementary physics books that focus on specific topics. For astrophysics, some options include "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie, and "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. For thermodynamics, some options include "Thermodynamics" by Enrico Fermi and "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder.

5. Can you recommend any supplementary physics books for self-study?

For self-study, some recommended supplementary physics books include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard P. Feynman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca, and "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky. These books are designed for self-study and provide a comprehensive understanding of various physics concepts.