1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz transformation help

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    I'm studying for my modern physics final and this problem is giving me trouble;

Q: In a frame S, two events have spatial separation deltaX= 600m, delta y and delta z = 0, and a temporal separation deltaT= 1micro second. A second frame S' is moving along the same axis with nonzero speed v (0'x' is parallel to 0x). In S' it is found that the spatial separation is deltaX' is also 600m. What are v and deltaT'?

My attempts have been using x'=gamma(x-vt), now I plug in the known data and try to manipulate the equation into a quadratic I can solve, but every time I do it I wind up not getting anywhere close to being correct. What does the proper quadratic formula look like? The correct answers are v = 0.8C and T = -1 micro second. I just need help finding how to find the velocity. Please help, any thing would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you first find [itex]\Delta T'[/itex] by using invariance of the spacetime interval?

4. May 3, 2010 #3
    Sorry but I figured it out, I was making algebraic errors. The quadratic turns into; 1.25v^2 - cv = 0. with v = 0 and v = 2.4E8, which is 0.8c. I didn't think you could find delta T' first, so I went about it doing it this way because it was the recommended method. Sorry for the inconvenience.

5. May 3, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great!

Actually, it is trivial to find delta T' first, which then eliminates the need to use terms quadratic in v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook