Lorentz transformation help

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the velocity and temporal separation in a problem involving two frames of reference. The recommended method was to use x'=gamma(x-vt) and manipulate it into a quadratic equation, but the speaker was having trouble getting the correct answer. Eventually, they realized they were making algebraic errors and found that delta T' could be found first, eliminating the need for a quadratic equation. The correct answers were v=0.8C and delta T'=-1 micro second.
Nuclear#1
I'm studying for my modern physics final and this problem is giving me trouble;

Q: In a frame S, two events have spatial separation deltaX= 600m, delta y and delta z = 0, and a temporal separation deltaT= 1micro second. A second frame S' is moving along the same axis with nonzero speed v (0'x' is parallel to 0x). In S' it is found that the spatial separation is deltaX' is also 600m. What are v and deltaT'?

My attempts have been using x'=gamma(x-vt), now I plug in the known data and try to manipulate the equation into a quadratic I can solve, but every time I do it I wind up not getting anywhere close to being correct. What does the proper quadratic formula look like? The correct answers are v = 0.8C and T = -1 micro second. I just need help finding how to find the velocity. Please help, any thing would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you first find [itex]\Delta T'[/itex] by using invariance of the spacetime interval?

Sorry but I figured it out, I was making algebraic errors. The quadratic turns into; 1.25v^2 - cv = 0. with v = 0 and v = 2.4E8, which is 0.8c. I didn't think you could find delta T' first, so I went about it doing it this way because it was the recommended method. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Great!

Actually, it is trivial to find delta T' first, which then eliminates the need to use terms quadratic in v.

A: The Lorentz transformation is a key concept in modern physics, specifically in the theory of special relativity. It allows us to transform coordinates and time measurements between two different frames of reference that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. In your problem, you are given the spatial and temporal separations in one frame (S) and asked to find the velocity and temporal separation in another frame (S').

To solve this problem using the Lorentz transformation, we can start by writing out the equations for the transformation of spatial coordinates and time:

x' = γ(x-vt)
t' = γ(t-vx/c^2)

where γ is the Lorentz factor, given by γ = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2), and c is the speed of light.

Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:

600m = γ(600m - vt)
1μs = γ(1μs - v(600m)/c^2)

We can then simplify these equations and solve for v in terms of γ:

600m = γ(600m - vt)
1μs = γ(1μs - 600mv/c^2)

Solving for γ in the first equation and substituting it into the second equation, we get:

1μs = (1/√(1-v^2/c^2))(1μs - 600mv/c^2)

Simplifying and rearranging, we get a quadratic equation in terms of v:

(600v/c^2)^2 - (1-1/γ^2)v^2 - 2v + 1 = 0

This is the proper quadratic formula to solve for v. Plugging in the values given in the problem (γ = 1.25, c = 3x10^8 m/s), we can solve for v and get the correct answer of v = 0.8c.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the Lorentz transformation better and how to apply it to solve problems like this one. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is a Lorentz transformation?

A Lorentz transformation is a mathematical tool used in the theory of relativity to describe how the measurements of space and time change when viewed from different frames of reference.

2. Why do we need Lorentz transformations?

We need Lorentz transformations because they help us reconcile the differences in measurements of space and time between different observers in relative motion, as predicted by the theory of relativity.

3. How do Lorentz transformations work?

Lorentz transformations involve a set of equations that relate the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference to the coordinates in another frame of reference. They take into account the relative velocity between the two frames and the principles of special relativity.

4. What are the applications of Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations have many applications in physics, particularly in the fields of special relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are used to calculate the effects of time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic velocities, among other things.

5. Are Lorentz transformations only applicable to objects moving at high speeds?

No, Lorentz transformations are applicable to all objects, regardless of their speed. However, their effects become more pronounced as the speed of an object approaches the speed of light.