Lorentz Transformations problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a straight stick at rest in a moving frame and the observer's perception of its length. The calculations involve using the gamma factor and the Pythagorean theorem to determine values such as the stick's length in the moving frame and the angle at which it is observed. The final answers are 1.22 L for the stick's length in the moving frame and approximately 45 degrees for the observed angle.
Meekay
Hello all,

I have an exam on Monday and am having trouble with this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Q: A straight stick of length L' is at rest in the moving S' frame. The stick appears to have length L in the S frame. The S' frame is moving at a velocity √(2/3) c. Calculate the following quantities:

gamma = ______
Δx' = ______L
Δy' = ______L

And calculate the length of the stick L' as observed in the S' frame.

ΔL' = ______L

And at what angle (with respect to the x'-axis) is the stick L' observed to be in the S' frame?

angle' = _____degrees

------------
Relevant equations:

1/Sqrt[1 - (β])^2]
Δx' = gamma(Δx - vΔt)

-----------
My attempt:

the gamma factor is = 1/√[1 - (√[2/3])^2] which is 1.73

then I use Δx' = gamma * x since Δt = 0

so Δx' would be gamma/2 in units of L? - (divided by 2 due to the nature of a 30 60 90 triangle?) so Δx' = .865 L?

Then Δy' is equal to √(3)/2 L because there is no contraction of length in the y direction because the motion is along the x-axis, so √(3)/2 is the only factor applied due to the nature of a 30 60 90 triangle.

as for the next two I am sort of lost.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• photo1 (1).jpg
    photo1 (1).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Meekay,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

Meekay said:
Hello all,

I have an exam on Monday and am having trouble with this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Q: A straight stick of length L' is at rest in the moving S' frame. The stick appears to have length L in the S frame. The S' frame is moving at a velocity √(2/3) c. Calculate the following quantities:

gamma = ______
Δx' = ______L
Δy' = ______L

And calculate the length of the stick L' as observed in the S' frame.

ΔL' = ______L

I'm a little confused about the delta on L'. Should that just be L'?

And at what angle (with respect to the x'-axis) is the stick L' observed to be in the S' frame?

angle' = _____degrees

------------
Relevant equations:

1/Sqrt[1 - (β])^2]
Δx' = gamma(Δx - vΔt)

-----------
My attempt:

the gamma factor is = 1/√[1 - (√[2/3])^2] which is 1.73

then I use Δx' = gamma * x since Δt = 0

so Δx' would be gamma/2 in units of L? - (divided by 2 due to the nature of a 30 60 90 triangle?) so Δx' = .865 L?

Ignoring minor rounding differences, that looks reasonable to me. :approve:

Then Δy' is equal to √(3)/2 L because there is no contraction of length in the y direction because the motion is along the x-axis, so √(3)/2 is the only factor applied due to the nature of a 30 60 90 triangle.

That also looks correct. :approve:

as for the next two I am sort of lost.

The Pythagorean theorem should come in useful. Follow that up with your favorite inverse trigonometric function (arctan, for example). :smile:

[Edit: By the way, if you're clever and keep all answers in terms of fractions and roots, the last answer -- the angle -- should be obvious even without a calculator.]

Last edited:
Thank you for your your reassurance and help. And yes it is L' and not a delta L'. I got a bit carried away with deltas I suppose. And wow that last part was very simple, I feel pretty dumb now, I was trying to use a relativistic type equation.

So i got L' = 1.22 L . If I am right, that does make sense because the stick is at rest in the S' frame and its length is observed to be contracted in the S frame.

And for the angle I got ~ 45 degrees using sin^-1(delta y'/L')

Thanks again for the help!

Meekay said:
So i got L' = 1.22 L . If I am right, that does make sense because the stick is at rest in the S' frame and its length is observed to be contracted in the S frame.

And for the angle I got ~ 45 degrees using sin^-1(delta y'/L')
'Looks good to me! :smile:

[Edit: btw, if you keep things in terms of fractions and roots, you'll find that the angle is not just approximately 45 deg, it's exactly 45 deg.]

Awesome, thanks. And okay I gotcha, I will next time. I need to brush up on my trig.

Related to Lorentz Transformations problem

1. What are Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are a set of equations used in physics to describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of special relativity. They allow for the conversion of coordinates and measurements from one reference frame to another, taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. What is the purpose of Lorentz Transformations?

The purpose of Lorentz Transformations is to reconcile the differences between measurements of space and time in different reference frames. This is important in the theory of special relativity, as it allows for consistent predictions and explanations of phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

3. How do Lorentz Transformations work?

Lorentz Transformations involve a set of mathematical equations that relate the coordinates and measurements in one reference frame to those in another reference frame. They take into account the relative velocity between the two frames and adjust for the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. What is the Lorentz factor?

The Lorentz factor, also known as the gamma factor, is a term used in Lorentz Transformations to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction. It is represented by the symbol γ and is equal to 1 divided by the square root of 1 minus the square of the relative velocity between two frames, c^2. This factor is crucial in calculating the correct transformations between reference frames.

5. How are Lorentz Transformations used in real-world applications?

Lorentz Transformations have many real-world applications, including in particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering. They are used to explain and predict phenomena such as time dilation in GPS satellites, the behavior of subatomic particles in accelerators, and the effects of high speeds on spacecraft. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as nuclear power and medical imaging.