Magnetic Forces on objects in nonuniform fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the force on an iron disk placed at a distance x from the centre of a current ring, due to the magnetisation of the disk. The setup is described as being coplanar, but it is unclear what the disk being "attracted to the ring" means. The use of the equation F = ∇(m · B) is suggested, but the asker is looking for a way to solve the problem rather than a complete solution.
Astronaut
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
I have this question which I need to solve . But I am unable to.

Suppose I have a current ring of radius R and current I (constant).

at a distance x from the centre of the ring, I have a iron disk (radius r and thickness t) present in the plane of the ring. This disk will be attracted to the ring due to magnetisation.

How do I calculate the force it experiences due to the field? Should I use F = ∇(m · B)??

I just want a way to solve it not the complete solution.. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronaut said:
at a distance x from the centre of the ring, I have a iron disk (radius r and thickness t) present in the plane of the ring.
Not sure what set up this describes. I would expect it to be that the iron disk is parallel to the plane of the ring, and coaxial with the ring. You seem to be saying it is coplanar with the ring with the two centres distance x apart, but if so I am not sure what it means to say the disk is attracted "to the ring".

haruspex said:
Not sure what set up this describes. I would expect it to be that the iron disk is parallel to the plane of the ring, and coaxial with the ring. You seem to be saying it is coplanar with the ring with the two centres distance x apart, but if so I am not sure what it means to say the disk is attracted "to the ring".

Yes the disk is coplanar to the ring. I read that in non uniform fields, magnetic forces are acted on a magnetic dipole. Won't the same happen here?

Astronaut said:
Yes the disk is coplanar to the ring. I read that in non uniform fields, magnetic forces are acted on a magnetic dipole. Won't the same happen here?
I'm sure there will be forces, but I do not know what "to" the ring means here. If it moves towards one part of the ring it is moving away from another part. Do you mean towards the centre of the ring?

1. What is a nonuniform magnetic field?

A nonuniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that does not have a constant strength or direction throughout space. This means that the magnetic force acting on an object placed in this field will vary in different regions.

2. How does a nonuniform magnetic field affect objects?

The nonuniform magnetic field exerts a force on any object placed within it, causing the object to experience a torque (rotational force) and potentially move in a certain direction. The strength and direction of this force depends on the object's position and orientation in the field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on an object in a nonuniform field?

The strength of the magnetic force on an object in a nonuniform field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the object and the source of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the object relative to the direction of the field.

4. How can nonuniform magnetic fields be measured or visualized?

Nonuniform magnetic fields can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength and direction of magnetic fields. These fields can also be visualized using iron filings, which align themselves along the magnetic field lines.

5. What are some real-world applications of nonuniform magnetic fields?

Nonuniform magnetic fields have a variety of applications, including in MRI machines for medical imaging, particle accelerators for scientific research, and magnetic levitation trains for transportation. They are also used in compasses, electric motors, and generators.