Solve Magnetics Project: Calculate Charge of Magnets & Electric Field Strength

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the charge, A/m, and magnetism of a single or two magnets. The speaker has two similar magnets with specific measurements and a scale for weighing. They also mention using a caliper and a device to suspend the magnets 1mm apart. The magnets are permanent and have a weight of 4 grams each. The speaker has tried to measure the force of attraction and repulsion between the magnets, but is unsure how to calculate the field strength with the given information. They mention using a formula involving the magnetic constant, charge, and distance, but are unsure if it is correct.
Artemirr
Please be in metric if helping. So Looking on wiki I have found some formula's but not sure on there application of process to be used with the information I have gathered.

Homework Statement

I have a project in where I need to be able to calculate hopefully the charge of a magnet and its A/m and magnetism and explain its effects. I am not concerned with how complicated it gets mathematically but I need to know what is needed to calculate a single magnet and/or two magnets. Also electric field of each magnet.
So here are the tools I have and info gathered so far.

2 similar shaped magnets with a diameter(cylindrical(not hollow)) of 1.8 cm and a height of .45 cm.

I have a scale that weighs in grams.

The other magnet was not hovering but in suspension by another device holding it above the other magnet 1mm exactly away. caliper in vice... not sure if that's relevant though...

They are Permanent Magnets.

Weight of each magnet is 4 grams. When applying both attraction and repulsive forces by zeroing one of the weighted magnets. Hovering over the other exactly 1mm away the pull and attraction reached a maximum average on the attraction and repulsion of 133/135 grams. Likely enough to say both attraction and pull are proportionate to both sides so 135 grams is the force used for both forces. Magnets together after zeroing the scale.
The pull and attraction reached a maximum of 135 advg grams without touching (1 mm away.)
Is it possible to calculate the field strength with just this information? of each magnet? I also can use the scale to test the maximum weight it can hold + or - a few grams.

Much help would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

I have no equations so far other than this that might help
F(N)= u
qm1qm2/4(pie)r²

The Attempt at a Solution

I need guidance so I can get results that can be tested against, such as maximum lift potential and then applying the theory to practicality. If I need a meter of sorts I may be able to get one for the purpose.

here is what I calculated so far if the information I am using it correctly.

using this formula:

F={{\mu q_{m1} q_{m2}}\over{4\pi r^2}}

rearranged as it so

q= \sqrt{{\F 4\pi r^2}\over{\mu }}

(0.135Kg*9.8) = 1.323 N
radius of objects/s plus distance in between = 1.45mm = 1.45^-2
q = /sqrt ( 1.323 N)(4 pi (0.0145m)²/ (4 pi ^-7)

q = 52.74 Am
A = C/s
A * m = Cm/s
Does this number make sense to calculate the electrical field strength now... lol Sigh 189 C km/h seems... kind of extreme... perhaps using gravity to calculate its gravitational force for the equation is a poor attempt. Perhaps the acceleration needed is something else then again this wold be the speed of the... I don't know magnitude does not seem help for calculating anything else towards magnetism... -.-''!

Hmm, something is wrong lol... I get

v(magnet magnitude) = Am/C =3.256e20 or 325,555,555,555,555,555,555 m/s lol... speed of light is only 299,792,458 m/s :( sigh I figure I was wrong... units are right but they lie to me lol...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also I may have made a mistake in my formula if anyone can help point it out that would be appreciated.

1. What is the purpose of the "Solve Magnetics Project"?

The purpose of the "Solve Magnetics Project" is to calculate the charge of magnets and the electric field strength. This can help in understanding the behavior of magnets and their interactions with other objects.

2. How do you calculate the charge of a magnet?

The charge of a magnet can be calculated by determining the magnetic field strength and the distance between the magnet and the object it is acting upon. The formula for calculating the charge of a magnet is Q = B x L, where Q is the charge, B is the magnetic field strength, and L is the distance between the magnet and the object.

3. What is the electric field strength?

The electric field strength is a measure of the force per unit charge exerted on a charged object in an electric field. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How does the electric field strength affect the behavior of magnets?

The electric field strength can affect the behavior of magnets by exerting a force on the charged particles within the magnet, causing them to move and creating a magnetic field. This can also lead to the attraction or repulsion of other charged objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the charge of magnets and electric field strength?

Some real-world applications of calculating the charge of magnets and electric field strength include designing and building electromagnets for various industries, such as transportation, energy, and healthcare. It is also used in magnetic levitation technology, which is used in high-speed trains and magnetic bearings for rotating machinery.