Magnetic Field & Potential: Northward Motion of a Horizontal Rod

• Thread starter leolaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary: Once this equillibrium is reached (assuming constant v and B) then there is no current, just a potential difference across the rod due to the charge separation.
leolaw
A horizontal rod is moved northward at a constant velocity throough a magnetic field that points straight down. Which statement is true?

a) The West end of the rod is at higher potential than the east end.
b) The East end of the rod is at higher potential than the West end.
c) The top surface of the rod is at higher potential than the bottom surface.
d) The bottom surface of the rod is at higher potential than top surface.

By applying right hand rule #3, I have my finger pointing to the north, then curve my fingers downward since that the magnetic field is pointing downward. My thumb ends up pointing to the west. Since that this rule assuming that the particle is a positive charge, so I conclude that the west end of the rod is at a higher potential than the east.

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
yep... assuming the directions North, West, South, lie in a plane, and a component of B is perpendicular to that plane.

leolaw said:
A horizontal rod is moved northward at a constant velocity throough a magnetic field that points straight down. Which statement is true?

a) The West end of the rod is at higher potential than the east end.
b) The East end of the rod is at higher potential than the West end.
c) The top surface of the rod is at higher potential than the bottom surface.
d) The bottom surface of the rod is at higher potential than top surface.

By applying right hand rule #3, I have my finger pointing to the north, then curve my fingers downward since that the magnetic field is pointing downward. My thumb ends up pointing to the west. Since that this rule assuming that the particle is a positive charge, so I conclude that the west end of the rod is at a higher potential than the east.

Am I right?
Applying the right hand rule, I get current flowing east to west, so the east is positive and the west negative (if the rod is aligned in east west direction). Thumb points north (motion), index finger down (field), second finger (current) points west.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Applying the right hand rule, I get current flowing east to west, so the east is positive and the west negative (if the rod is aligned in east west direction). Thumb points north (motion), index finger down (field), second finger (current) points west.

AM
Yes but positive or negative current?

The direction of magnetic force on a positive charge is given by v X B so using the right-hand rule, the positive charges feel a force towards the west, and hence the negatives feel a force towards the east.

Hence positive current is from east to west, leaving the west end with a net positive charge, so the west hend is at a highter potential.

Last edited:
JFo said:
Yes but positive or negative current?

The direction of magnetic force on a positive charge is given by v X B so using the right-hand rule, the positive charges feel a force towards the west, and hence the negatives feel a force towards the east.

Hence positive current is from east to west, leaving the west end with a net positive charge, so the west hend is at a highter potential.
I never could get those conventions right.

AM

What would be the answer if this is a closed loop?

Since current flows from east to west, than east is at a higer potantial than the west since current flows in the direction of the potantial drop??

I wouldn't assume that it is a closed loop because it is a horizontal rod, which I think that it looks like the one we use for the compass.

gamma: for the horizontal rod, "current" really only flows for a fraction of a second before the the charge builds up on each end, and all forces cancel. Once this equillibrium is reached (assuming constant v and B) then there is no current, just a potential difference across the rod due to the charge separation.

I think for a closed loop, there would still be a charge separation allong the "width of the loop, just like the rod, but unless the B was changing as the loop moved, there would be no current since there is no change in flux, according to Faraday's law.

Related to Magnetic Field & Potential: Northward Motion of a Horizontal Rod

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be visualized using magnetic field lines.

2. How is a magnetic field related to a horizontal rod's northward motion?

A horizontal rod moving northward will experience a magnetic force due to the interaction between its electric charges and the Earth's magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the rod's motion and the magnetic field lines, causing the rod to move in a circular path.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field depends on the amount and movement of electric charges, as well as the distance from the source of the field. In the case of a horizontal rod, the strength of the Earth's magnetic field and the velocity of the rod will also play a role.

4. How is the potential energy of a horizontal rod affected by its northward motion?

The potential energy of a horizontal rod in a magnetic field is affected by its northward motion because the magnetic force is doing work on the rod, changing its position and potential energy. If the rod is moving at a constant speed, the change in potential energy will be equal to the work done by the magnetic force.

5. How can the northward motion of a horizontal rod be used in real-world applications?

The northward motion of a horizontal rod in a magnetic field is the basis for many technologies, such as generators and electric motors. It is also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators, to manipulate and control the motion of charged particles.