Electron Speed Calc: Solving Magnetism Problem with F=qvB

• Thread starter jakeowens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the electron of mass 9.11 x 10-31 (9.11e-31) kg travels with a constant velocity in a circular orbit with a radius of 2.0 mm and a perpendicular B-field of 0.030 T. To solve for the electron's speed, the equation F=qvB can be used, along with the equation a=v^2/R to find the acceleration of the electron.
jakeowens
An electron of mass 9.11 x 10-31 (9.11e-31) kg travels in a circular orbit within a large evacuated chamber. The orbit has a 2.0 mm radius and is perpendicular to a B-field of 0.030 T. What's the electron's speed?

For this problem, the only equation i can think to apply is F=qvB.

I know B, i know q, i need to solve for V, but how do i get F?

F =ma, but that still leaves me stuck because i don't know the acceleration of the electron...

I understand this problem and know what to do, I'm just missing something somewhere because i don't seem to have enough to solve the problem, although i know its in there. I'm just not seeing it, and need a slight prod in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure but,
F=qvb and
F=ma
so qvb=ma?
I am confuse as you are.

Remember that the electron travles in a circular orbit with a constant velocity, so you also have this equation

[tex]a=\frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]

Related to Electron Speed Calc: Solving Magnetism Problem with F=qvB

1. What is the equation for calculating the speed of an electron in a magnetic field?

The equation for calculating the speed of an electron in a magnetic field is F=qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, v is the speed of the electron, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How do I determine the direction of the force on an electron in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on an electron in a magnetic field can be determined using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the electron's velocity, your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the force.

3. What are the units for each variable in the F=qvB equation?

The units for force (F) are Newtons (N), charge (q) is measured in Coulombs (C), speed (v) is measured in meters per second (m/s), and magnetic field strength (B) is measured in Teslas (T).

4. Can this equation be used for any charged particle in a magnetic field?

Yes, this equation can be used for any charged particle in a magnetic field, as long as the charge is known and the particle is moving at a constant velocity.

5. How can I use this equation to solve a magnetism problem?

To solve a magnetism problem using the F=qvB equation, you will need to know the values of at least three of the variables (force, charge, velocity, and magnetic field strength). Then, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the missing variable. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the force and use the right hand rule to determine it.