Solve Mass Fraction Problem: 100g H2O, 11.2g H, 3.06g H2

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of mass of water obtained from a given amount of hydrogen reacting with an excess of oxygen. The mass fraction of hydrogen in 100g of water is used to find the mass of water produced. The confusion arises from the notation of H and H2 in the problem, but it is clarified that they are the same and do not differ in terms of the number of hydrogen atoms.
lucky_star

Homework Statement

If 100 g H2O contains 11.2 g H, what mass of water could be obtained from 3.06 g H2(g) reacting with an excess of O2(g)?

Homework Equations

Mass % of X in a sample= (Mass of X in sample/ Mass of the sample)*100

The Attempt at a Solution

The parts that confused me were 11.2g of H and the 3.06g H2. Why aren't both be H2 or H? Can anyone help me with this problem? THank you in advance.

This is my effort:
I look for the mass fraction of H in 100g of H2O:
11.2g of H/100g H2O= .112

Then, I find the Mass of H2O
3.06g/.112 = 27.3g H2O

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
lucky_star said:
The parts that confused me were 11.2g of H and the 3.06g H2. Why aren't both be H2 or H?

Is mass of 3.5 g of H different from the mass of 3.5 g H2? Do they differ in number of atoms of hydrogen?

This is my effort:
I look for the mass fraction of H in 100g of H2O:
11.2g of H/100g H2O= .112

Then, I find the Mass of H2O
3.06g/.112 = 27.3g H2O

Is this correct?

Yes.

Is mass of 3.5 g of H different from the mass of 3.5 g H2? Do they differ in number of atoms of hydrogen?
No, they are not the same. I understand it now.

Thank you Borek!

lucky_star said:
No, they are not the same. I understand it now.

Oops, not good. They ARE the same and they DON'T differ in terms of the number of hydrogen atoms.

Oh, Thanks again :)

Question 1: What is the mass fraction of H2O in this problem?

The mass fraction of H2O is the amount of H2O divided by the total mass of the solution. In this case, it is calculated as (100g H2O / 114.26g total solution) x 100% = 87.55%.

Question 2: What is the mass fraction of H in this problem?

The mass fraction of H is the amount of H divided by the total mass of the solution. In this case, it is calculated as (11.2g H / 114.26g total solution) x 100% = 9.81%.

Question 3: What is the mass fraction of H2 in this problem?

The mass fraction of H2 is the amount of H2 divided by the total mass of the solution. In this case, it is calculated as (3.06g H2 / 114.26g total solution) x 100% = 2.68%.

Question 4: How do you calculate the total mass of the solution?

The total mass of the solution is calculated by adding together the masses of all the components in the solution. In this problem, it would be 100g H2O + 11.2g H + 3.06g H2 = 114.26g total solution.

Question 5: Can the mass fraction of a substance be greater than 100%?

No, the mass fraction of a substance cannot be greater than 100%. It represents the proportion of the substance in the total mass of the solution, so it cannot exceed 100%.