1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Spring damper system

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If an aeroplane of a mass of = 5000 with a velocity of ̇ = 500/ℎ has to land on a daily
    basis what would be your design characteristic of a damping system to absorb the ground energy
    contact within 5 seconds.
    Hint: Your answers may include:

i. The values of k (the spring stiffness), C (the damping coefficient), Cc (the critical damping) etc.

ii. Matlab code, graphs and comments to illustrate your solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

as spring stiffness and damping ratio is not given in the question and I was told to keep changing the spring stiffness and damping ratio in MATLAB until you get a smooth curve, an oscillation which dies after 5 seconds. that is why i started with MATLAB, graph and coding is attached below.
    i am using unforced method, not sure if it is right or not, my only concern is damping ratio. which is 4.5 in this case. normally if damping ratio < 1 ... it is under damped. if equal to 1 than critical damped. bigger then 1 over damped..
    in my case it is bigger that 1 so must be over damped but graph looks like critical damped.

i tried this question with forced method as well. but i dont know how to calculate the force required aircraft function.JPG aircraft graph.JPG few friends said F=kx, but i dont know how to calculate x in order to find F,

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2015 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted