Material A & B Stress: What's the Difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical sized specimens of materials A and B arranged in a press, and their stress v strain graphs. The question is raised about which specimen would be under the greatest stress, and it is determined that material A will experience greater stress due to its steeper slope on the graph. The conversation also mentions that under identical loads, material A will also deflect more than material B.
oxon88

Homework Statement

Two identical sized specimens of materials A and B are made from materials which produce stress v strain graphs as shown below.

Capture.PNG
The specimens are arranged in a press, the press moves uniformly, which of the specimens would be under the greatest stress?

Homework Equations

stress = force / area

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Would they both be under the same stress, they are the same size (area) and both subject to the same force?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definitions of "stress" and of "strain?"

Your answer is correct of the specimens are placed on top of one another. But what if they are placed next to one another.

Chet

There is a small diagram which I omitted. It shows that the two samples are placed next to each other in the press.

Stress is a measure of the internal force an object is experiencing per unit cross sectional area. Stress = force / areaStrain is a measure of how much an object is being stretched . Strain, ε = Δl / l0
So I guess as the press is putting force onto the samples, sample A will be under less stress because it will deform more than sample B? Meaning sample A will then have a larger area so the amount of stress will be less?

The strains in the two materials will be exactly the same because this is determined by how much the press moves down. The areas will be the same also. What does that tell you about the stresses?

Chet

Ok so if the 2 materials are under the same amount of strain I guess the stress will be greater in material A, because as we see from the graph, for any value of strain, the stress in material A is always greater.

Am I correct?

Exactly.

Give the answer anyone please.

(b) Under identical loads, which material will deflect the most?

(c) The specimens are arranged in a press as shown below, the press moves uniformly, which of the specimens would be under the greatest stress?

Faisal Nazir said:
Give the answer anyone please.

(b) Under identical loads, which material will deflect the most?

(c) The specimens are arranged in a press as shown below, the press moves uniformly, which of the specimens would be under the greatest stress?
See response #6.

this might be silly but I am still confused about Q.b under identical loads, which material will deflect the most then?? please someone let me know ASAP

darin khan said:
this might be silly but I am still confused about Q.b under identical loads, which material will deflect the most then?? please someone let me know ASAP
Please tell us your thoughts on this.

Related to Material A & B Stress: What's the Difference?

1. What is the definition of stress in materials?

Stress in materials refers to the internal forces that are created when an external force is applied. It is a measure of how much a material deforms or changes in shape under the influence of external forces.

2. What is the difference between material A and material B in terms of stress?

The main difference between material A and material B in terms of stress is their response to external forces. Material A may have a higher resistance to stress and therefore will not deform or change as much compared to material B under the same amount of external force.

3. How does stress affect the properties of materials?

Stress can affect the properties of materials in various ways. It can cause changes in the material's shape, size, and strength. It can also lead to deformation, fracture, or failure of the material.

4. What factors contribute to the difference in stress between materials A and B?

The difference in stress between materials A and B can be influenced by several factors such as the composition, structure, and processing of the materials. These factors can affect the material's ability to withstand external forces and its overall strength and durability.

5. How can we measure and compare the stress levels of materials A and B?

Stress levels in materials can be measured and compared using various techniques, such as tensile testing, compression testing, and shear testing. These methods allow us to apply controlled external forces to the materials and measure their response, ultimately providing a quantitative comparison of stress levels between materials A and B.