Matrix - Show Using Induction: B^n = 2^(n-1) for (3 -1) (1 1)

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof using induction to show that B^n = 2^(n-1) for a given matrix B. The base case is shown to hold true, and the steps to prove that it holds true for n=k+1 are discussed. The final equation simplifies to the original equation, proving that it holds true for all values of n.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

B =
(3 -1)
(1 1)

show using induction B^n = 2^(n-1)
(2+n -n)
(n 2-n)

The Attempt at a Solution

First i prove the base case so let n=1 B=2^0
(3 -1)
(1 1) so it holds true.

then assume it holds true for n=k prove it true for n=k+1
so i sub in and get
b^k+1 = 2^k
(3+k -k-1)
(k+1 1-k)
but I'm not sure where to go from here, thanks for looking! (sorry i don't know how to put in a matrix)

Physics news on Phys.org
gtfitzpatrick said:
then assume it holds true for n=k prove it true for n=k+1
so i sub in and get
b^k+1 = 2^k
(3+k -k-1)
(k+1 1-k)
but I'm not sure where to go from here, thanks for looking! (sorry i don't know how to put in a matrix)

You seem to be assuming that it is true for n=k+1; but you are supposed to prove that, not assume it.

Instead assume that it is true for n=k:

[tex]\implies B^k=2^{k-1} \begin{pmatrix}2+k & -k \\ k & 2-k\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then use the fact that [itex]B^{k+1}=B^kB[/itex] to compute [itex]B^{k+1}[/itex] and show that you get

[tex]2^{(k+1)-1} \begin{pmatrix}2+(k+1) & -(k+1) \\ (k+1) & 2-(k+1)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

yes, when i started to tidy up i got

[tex]
2^{(k-1)} \begin{pmatrix}2k+6) & -2k-2 \\ 2k+2 & -2k+2\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

which further tidies to your equation. this is proved because there is now k+1 where there was k's so it holds true for k+1,k+2...and all values of K...or n.

1. What is induction in relation to the Matrix?

Induction, in the context of the Matrix, refers to the process of gradually revealing the true nature of the world to the main character, Neo. It is a way for him to gain knowledge and understanding of the Matrix and his role within it.

2. How is induction used in the Matrix?

In the Matrix, induction is used by the character Morpheus to help Neo understand and accept the truth about the Matrix. Through a series of trials and experiences, Neo is gradually shown the reality of the world and his abilities within it.

3. What is the significance of induction in the Matrix?

The significance of induction in the Matrix is that it symbolizes the journey of self-discovery and enlightenment. As Neo is inducted into the truth of the Matrix, he also learns more about himself and his potential as "The One". It also represents the struggle between free will and predetermined fate.

4. How does induction relate to the theme of reality vs. illusion in the Matrix?

Induction is closely tied to the theme of reality vs. illusion in the Matrix. Through the process of induction, Neo is able to break free from the illusion of the Matrix and see the true reality of the world. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and how much control we have over our own perceptions.

5. Can induction be applied to real life situations?

Yes, induction can be applied to real life situations as a method of learning and understanding. Just as Neo is inducted into the truth of the Matrix, we can also experience moments of induction in our own lives where we gain new knowledge and understanding through a gradual process.