Maxwell's Equations - State what arbitary fields describe.

In summary, the arbitrary fields R(r), S(r), and T(r) can represent magnetic fields, but only T(r) can also represent a magnetostatic field, as its divergence is equal to zero. R(r) and S(r) are not magnetic fields, and therefore cannot be magnetostatic fields. The equation div B = 0 is used to determine if a field is magnetostatic, and in the case of T(r), the current density is found to be uniform along the y-axis with a magnitude of -2T_0.
bmarson123

Homework Statement

State whether the following arbitary fields can describe either a magnetic field, a magnetostatic field, neither, or both. In each case justify your answer:

i) R(r) = R0 (x2,y2,z2)

ii) S(r) = S0 (x, -z, y)

iii) T(r) = T0 (-z, 0, x)

Homework Equations

div B= 0

The Attempt at a Solution

i) div R = R0 (2x, 2y, 2z)

Not a magnetic field as div B [itex]\neq[/itex] 0

ii) div S = S0 (1,0,0)

Not a magnetic field as div B [itex]\neq[/itex] 0

iii) div T = T0 (0,0,0)

Can represent a magnetic field as div B = 0

I don't know if the above is correct for the magnetic field and I don't have a clue where to start to establish a decision about them being a magnetostatic field or not!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: A magnetostatic field is a solution to one of the Maxwell equations in the case where everything is not dependent on time. Which equation is it?

Also, obviously, in order for something to be magnetostatic, it has to first be a magnetic field.

Your arguments about determining which fields can be magnetic fields are correct.

curl H = j + d D / dt ??

So is H the magnetostatic field?? And how can I apply that to this? Do I have to do curl of each field?

Well, if something is not a magnetic field, it's not a magnetostatic field either. And yes, that's the correct equation. In the magnetostatic case there are no time-varying fields, so you just need to find j.

So for cases i) and ii) I can just say they are neither magnetic or magnetostatic, as it can't be magnetostatic if it isn't magnetic?

Which means I only need to find the current density for iii)? I'm pretty sure I don't know how to do that, do I use curl B = [itex]\mu[/itex] j ?

Yep, that's right.

But what do I say after I've calculated the current density?

I've got curl B = 2 j (j as in vector j)

But what does that tell me anyway?

If I didn't do it wrong, I think it's supposed to be -2j.

What this means is that this field was created by a current density which is uniform all throughout space its direction is the y-axis (or the -y) and its magnitude is 2T_0.

Obviously this kind of current density doesn't exist in real life, but its a perfectly valid source for a magnetic field as far as Maxwell's equations are concerned.

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and have been instrumental in understanding and predicting electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What do Maxwell's Equations describe?

Maxwell's Equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and how they interact with each other. They also describe the propagation of electromagnetic waves through space.

3. What are the four equations in Maxwell's Equations?

The four equations are Gauss's Law, Gauss's Law for Magnetism, Faraday's Law, and Ampere's Law. Together, these equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

4. What is an arbitrary field in Maxwell's Equations?

An arbitrary field in Maxwell's Equations refers to any general electric or magnetic field, rather than a specific or known field. These equations can be applied to any type of field, making them incredibly versatile in solving various electromagnetic problems.

5. How are Maxwell's Equations used in science?

Maxwell's Equations are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields and have practical applications in technologies such as radios, televisions, and cell phones.