MCQ thats giving me a headache

• Thread starter O.J.
  • Start date
In summary, when a steel ball is released from rest, its initial velocity is found by using the equation for distance fallen in time t1 and the equation for the total distance fallen at time t2.
O.J.
hello,

i have this question that's buggin me :

two markers M1 and M2 are vertically h meters apart. a steel ball is released x m above M1 and reaches M1 by time t1 and M2 by time t2. what's the expression for acceleration?

a.) 2h/(t2)^2
b.) 2h/(t1+t2)
c.) 2h/(t2-t1)^2
d.) 2h/(t2^2-t1^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
O.J. said:
hello,

i have this question that's buggin me :

two markers M1 and M2 are vertically h meters apart. a steel ball is released x m above M1 and reaches M1 by time t1 and M2 by time t2. what's the expression for acceleration?

a.) 2h/(t2)^2
b.) 2h/(t1+t2)
c.) 2h/(t2-t1)^2
d.) 2h/(t2^2-t1^2)

You have to start with the equation for distance fallen. You should know that.

Write out the expression for the distance fallen in time t1 (= x). Write out the expression for the total distance fallen at time t2 (= x+h). Subtract the two equations to get the equation for the difference (h). Work out a from that (which, if it is on earth, is g).

AM

i really am confused. can u show me how to work it out?

In this question, your ultimate goal is to find the acceleration.

As Andrew Mason mentioned, you need to "write out the expression for the distance fallen in time t1 (= x)". What variables are present? Do you know which Kinematics equation you should use?

Similarly, you will need to "write out the expression for the total distance fallen at time t2 (= x+h)". Use the appropriate Kinematics equation here as well.

Carry out some algebraic manipulation, and you should get the answer!

If you need more help, please show some of your working first.

Hint: The steel ball was released from rest.

All the best!:wink:

Last edited:
ok, this is my workin,

the vertical distance between the M1 and M2 is h. initial velocity (u) at M1 is found by:

s=(v+u)/2 x t
x=(0+v)/s x t1

we get v=2x / t1, and this is = u for the 2nd part

similarly, v= (2x+2h)/t2

we can also get t as (t2-t1)

so we have v,u,s and t. we can use anythree of them in a kinematics equation to simplify an expression for a. but when I am doing it I am getting complicated expressions that don't simplify to any of the options

O.J. said:
ok, this is my workin,

the vertical distance between the M1 and M2 is h. initial velocity (u) at M1 is found by:

s=(v+u)/2 x t
x=(0+v)/s x t1

we get v=2x / t1, and this is = u for the 2nd part

similarly, v= (2x+2h)/t2

we can also get t as (t2-t1)

so we have v,u,s and t. we can use anythree of them in a kinematics equation to simplify an expression for a. but when I am doing it I am getting complicated expressions that don't simplify to any of the options
You can use [itex]s = vt/2[/itex] but since v = at, this works out to:

[tex]s = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

so:
(1) [tex]x = \frac{1}{2}at_1^2[/tex] and

(2) [tex]x + h = \frac{1}{2}at_2^2[/tex]

Subtracting (1) from (2):

[tex]h = \frac{1}{2}at_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}at_1^2[/tex]

Rearrange the expression for a and you will have your answer.

AM

Likes Aiman Imtiaz
thanks a lot

Related to MCQ thats giving me a headache

1. What is an MCQ?

An MCQ, or multiple-choice question, is a type of test or assessment where a question or statement is followed by several possible answers. The test-taker must choose the correct answer from the options provided.

2. What is causing my headache when taking MCQs?

There could be several reasons for experiencing a headache while taking MCQs. It could be due to eye strain from looking at a screen or paper for an extended period, stress and anxiety, or a lack of proper rest and hydration. It is important to take breaks and practice good self-care when studying or taking tests.

3. How should I approach MCQs?

It is helpful to read the question carefully and try to answer it before looking at the options provided. Eliminate any obviously wrong answers and then choose the best one from the remaining options. It is also essential to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on one question.

4. How can I improve my performance on MCQs?

Practice is key to improving your performance on MCQs. Take practice tests to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions. Also, make sure to understand the material thoroughly and use effective study techniques, such as creating flashcards or summarizing information.

5. Are there any tips for guessing on MCQs?

If you are unsure of the answer, it is often better to guess than to leave a question blank. Use the process of elimination to narrow down your options and choose the most logical answer. Also, pay attention to wording and look for clues in the question that may help you eliminate incorrect answers.