Measuring wind speed with ball and string Newtons 2nd law

In summary, the student is trying to use the Newtons second law and the equation for wind resistance to determine the angle made by a specific velocity. However, the student is not sure if they are doing it correctly and is looking for help.
eboarder2020
hello everyone,

Im new to this forum but i really need some help doing a physics assignment. I am trying to use Newtons second law and the equation for wind resistance(click link) to determine the the angle made by a specific velocity. The link to the assignment is http://www.instruction.greenriver.edu/physics/anarayanan/PHYS201Sp2006/Notes/Essay2-201.pdf" . I've tried two different approaches but I am not sure if those are correct.

First, I did draw my free body diagrams and broke them up into components of x and y axis: Here is what I got

x(axis)=(wind resistance)-(m)(g)sin(theta)
y(axis)=(Force of tension)-(m)(g)cos(theta)

From there I've tried to manipulate both equations by solving for m, or g, and plugging into the other equation and solving for theta but thus far I've gotten non-realistic solutions.

So I thought maybe I was doing this a little to complicated, so instead I tried to solve this as if it were a triangle. I know that FT=mass*gravity if the ball is straight up and down. i also can calculate the force of windspeed using the formula, and then from there use some law of sins to get me an angle from the triangle but I am not sure if that's applicable in this scenerio.

Any and all help is much appreciated and thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ball is experiencing three forces, the tension [tex]T[/tex] in the string which works along the direction of the string, The weight of the ball [tex]W[/tex] vertically downwards and the drag [tex]R[/tex] acting horizontally on the ball in the direction of the wind. Taking the x-axis horizontally in the direction of the wind and the y-axis vertically upwards the tension in the string will contribute a x- and y-component to the equations, since it is working at an angle w.r.t. this x/y axis system. What are these two components and their signs in this system?

Hey i turned in the assignment... I asked a few friends at school for help and I got it... The angle theta can be measured in the inverse tangent of the wind force over the mass times gravity. THanks for the help

Did they explain it to you? If not let's hope they are not there when you write exam.

1. How do you measure wind speed using a ball and string?

The process involves using a ball attached to a string and holding it at a certain height. When wind blows against the ball, it creates tension in the string which can be measured and used to calculate wind speed.

2. What is Newton's 2nd law and how does it relate to measuring wind speed with a ball and string?

Newton's 2nd law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of measuring wind speed with a ball and string, the force of the wind on the ball and the resulting acceleration can be used to determine wind speed.

3. What equipment is needed for measuring wind speed with a ball and string?

To measure wind speed with a ball and string, you will need a ball, a string, a ruler or measuring tape, and a way to calculate the tension in the string (such as a spring scale or force meter).

4. Can you measure wind speed accurately with a ball and string method?

The accuracy of the measurement will depend on various factors such as the length and weight of the string, the size and weight of the ball, and the precision of the equipment used. However, with proper setup and calibration, this method can provide a fairly accurate measurement of wind speed.

5. Are there any limitations to using a ball and string to measure wind speed?

Yes, this method may not be suitable for measuring wind speeds that are too low or too high, as the ball may not have enough tension in the string or may cause the string to break. Additionally, external factors such as wind direction and turbulence can affect the accuracy of the measurement.