Millikan's experiment -- data confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving measuring the charge and radius of oil droplets and calculating the fundamental charge of an electron. The equations used for the experiment are provided, along with a data set and a correction factor for the viscosity of air. The importance of accurate measurements and the potential for errors are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for advice on plotting a correction factor equation.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guy I am having a real issue trying to find the fundamental charge from my data.

So here is the background.

Basically I carried out and experiment where we measured an oil droplet the was floating a specific voltage by taking the measurement of 12 oil droplets and calculating the velocity from the distance and time , we could calculate the fall velocity from there, we then use the two equations which I have listed below to calculate the charge and the radius.

Here is my data for the charge and radius using the formula (1), (2)
upload_2017-10-15_20-17-27.png

For now I am not concerning myself with the errors etc as I will add them in etc when I get the correct way I analysing the data.

So the scatter graph of the data is like so:

upload_2017-10-15_20-23-48.png

Now my lowest point is $$2.4*10^{-19}C$$

So this too me is the charge on the smallest oil drop but this dose not tell me the actual charge on a electron, so we have been given a correction factor which I have outlined below but my issue is who do I plot this correction factor?

My thoughts at this moment are that if I use (4) this should give me the actual charge of an electron.

So if I rearrange the equation, I get.

$$q^{-2/3}=e^{-2/3}(1-\frac{a}{r})(5)$$

But I am not really sure how to plot this? Is this equation correct? I am thinking maybe plotting ##y^{-2/3}## vs ##1/r## and then put in a linear trend line and compare the given equation with the (5). Could someone please give some advice on this matter. Any help would be much appreciated.

Homework Equations

$$r=(\frac{9*n_{air}*v_{fall}}{2(\rho-\rho_{air})*g})^{1/2}(1)$$

$$\frac{18\pi*d}{V}*(\frac{n^3*v_{fall}^3}{2(\rho-\rho_{air})*g})^{1/2}(2)$$

correction factor

$$r_{c}=r(1-\frac{a}{r})^{1/2} (3)$$

$$q_{c}=q(1-\frac{a}{r})^{3/2} (4)$$n=viscosity of air[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this correction factor and where does it come from?

With the Millikan experiment you can never be "100% sure" that you get the elementary charge (you could be unlucky and have even multiples of the charge on all drops, for example), but if you do the experiment carefully and with many drops you'll see the values cluster around integer multiples of some value - the elementary charge. Your uncertainty on the individual measurements has to be smaller than the elementary charge, of course, otherwise you don't see anything.
If your values in column C are in Coulomb then the uncertainty is too large to find the elementary charge.

We did this experiment in 1975 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and I still have the write-up they gave us to go with it. ## \\ ## Your second equation is for the charge on the oil drop. It should give a reasonably accurate result without any additional correction factors. ## \\ ## I would suggest you check your computer program carefully for any numerical error before trying to do any additional refinements. ## \\ ## Your equations are basically the same ones we used except that we had a ## v_E ## that was not equal to zero, whereas I believe you adjusted the voltage ## V ## to get the drop to stand still. ## \\ ## For us, they did some additional refinements for increased accuracy: The students in the class submitted the data, and they processed it for us. I'm not sure how much their refinement increased the accuracy, but the average fundamental charge I got was 1.59 E-19 +/- .01 E-19 with about a dozen different drops. The average charge I had on the drops was about 4e. A couple times I had Q=7e or 8e, one time I had 1e,three times I had 2e,twice I had 3e, etc... ## \\ ## Additional detail is the correction factor you show is, according to the write-up they gave us, a correction to the viscosity ## n ## that will also result in a correction to ## r ##. The primary effect that it has on the computed ## Q ## is in the correction to the viscosity ## n ##, but you need to first get a reasonably accurate result without this refinement. With the refinement, it will likely improve your accuracy, but it would only be worthwhile if you can get e to within about +/-10% or better without it. ## \\ ## Additional detail : ## n=\frac{n_o}{1+\frac{a}{r}} ## is a correction they give us for the viscosity ## n ## in your equation (2) for the charge ## Q ## where ## a \approx 1.0 \, E-7 ## meters. This ## a ## is essentially the same ## a ## in your equation that accounts for this correction. The correction for ## Q ## is basically to use this refined ## n ## instead of ## n_o ##. ## \\ ## Also, the number ## n_o ## that we used for the viscosity of air was ## n_o=1.832 \, E-5 ##, so your number of ## n_o=1.79 \, E-5 ## looks good. ## \\ ## Looking over a couple of drops you had that were nearly identical in size: 1,2, and 5, it is difficult to see from the charges that you computed how these could be multiples of 1.6 E-19. What was the density of the oil that you used? Also, what did you use for the density of the air?

Last edited:

1. What was Millikan's experiment and why is it significant?

Millikan's experiment, also known as the oil drop experiment, was a scientific experiment conducted by Robert A. Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron. It is significant because it provided the first accurate measurement of the charge of an electron, which helped to further our understanding of atomic structure and laid the foundation for modern physics.

2. How did Millikan's experiment work?

Millikan's experiment involved suspending tiny charged oil droplets between two parallel metal plates. By measuring the effects of an electric field on the droplets, Millikan was able to calculate the charge of each droplet and determine that they were all multiples of a fundamental unit of charge, which was later identified as the charge of an electron.

3. What was the "data confusion" in Millikan's experiment?

The "data confusion" in Millikan's experiment refers to the controversy surrounding the accuracy of his data and the methods used to calculate the charge of an electron. Some scientists have criticized Millikan's experimental methods and argued that his results were not as precise as he claimed.

4. How did Millikan respond to the criticism of his experiment?

Millikan defended his experiment and his results, stating that the criticisms were based on misunderstandings and that his methods were sound. He also published a detailed account of his experimental procedures and calculations to address the controversy.

5. What is the current consensus on Millikan's experiment and its results?

While there is still some debate among scientists, the general consensus is that Millikan's experiment was a significant contribution to the field of physics and that his results were accurate. However, it is acknowledged that there may have been some limitations to his methods and that further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the nature of the electron.