Minimize expected value of the absolute difference

In summary, we are asked to minimize the expected value of the absolute difference between a continuous random variable X and a constant b, given that the median of X is m. Using the hint, we show that this can be done by minimizing the expression E(|X-m|) + 2 \int_b^m (x-b) f(x) dx as a function of b. By considering the sign of (x-b)f(x) over the interval of integration and the fact that the integral is always positive, we see that the expression is minimized when b = m.
cielo

Homework Statement

Let X be a continuous random variable with median m.
Minimize E[|X - b|] as a function of b. Hint: Show that E[|X - b|] = E[|X - m|] + 2 [tex]\int[/tex] (x - b) f(x) dx , where the integral is from b to m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to try a solution but I even don't know how to determine whether it is minimum or not. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
treat is as a function of b
f(b) = E(|X-b|)

how would you find the minima of f w.r.t. b?

cielo said:

Homework Statement

Let X be a continuous random variable with median m.
Minimize E[|X - b|] as a function of b. Hint: Show that E[|X - b|] = E[|X - m|] + 2 [tex]\int[/tex] (x - b) f(x) dx , where the integral is from b to m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to try a solution but I even don't know how to determine whether it is minimum or not. Please help.

Can you show the expression given above? If so, what do you know about the sign of

[tex]
\int_b^m (x-b) f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

Finally, note that the right-side is a function of the number [itex] b [/itex]. What happens when you evaluate at that function at a (cleverly) chosen value?

statdad said:
Can you show the expression given above? If so, what do you know about the sign of

[tex]
[/tex]

Finally, note that the right-side is a function of the number [itex] b [/itex]. What happens when you evaluate at that function at a (cleverly) chosen value?

I am having a hard time how to evaluate this integral because the function f(x) is not given.
[tex]
[/tex]

Aaaaah, that's the point: if you were given a specific [tex] f(x) [/tex], any result you obtained would apply only to that particular function , not in general. This exercise is meant to give a general result.

Hint: In the integral

[tex]
\int_a^m (x-b) f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

the interval of integration consists of values [tex] x \ge b [/tex], so

i) What is the sign of [tex] (x-b)f(x) [/tex] over the interval?
ii) What does this say about the sign of the integral of [tex] (x-b)f(x)[/tex]?
iii) Using your answers to `i' and `ii'', if you want to choose [tex] b [/tex] to minimize

[tex]
E(|X-m|) + 2 \int_b^m (x-b) f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

as a function of [tex] b [/tex], what choice does it?

statdad said:
Aaaaah, that's the point: if you were given a specific [tex] f(x) [/tex], any result you obtained would apply only to that particular function , not in general. This exercise is meant to give a general result.

Hint: In the integral

[tex]
\int_a^m (x-b) f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

the interval of integration consists of values [tex] x \ge b [/tex], so

i) What is the sign of [tex] (x-b)f(x) [/tex] over the interval?
ii) What does this say about the sign of the integral of [tex] (x-b)f(x)[/tex]?
iii) Using your answers to `i' and `ii'', if you want to choose [tex] b [/tex] to minimize

[tex]
[/tex]

as a function of [tex] b [/tex], what choice does it?

okay, let me see if I figure this out right.
i) The sign of [tex] (x-b)f(x) [/tex] over the interval is positive.
ii) The sign of the integral of [tex] (x-b)f(x)[/tex] is positive.
iii) Substituting b to m in the expression [tex]
[/tex]

results to [tex]
E(|X-b|) + 2 \int_b^b (x-b) f(x) \, dx
[/tex]
which becomes E(|X - b|) + 2*(0)
and finally to E(|X - b|)
...so E[|X - b|] is minimized when b = m.
I hope this time I finally got it right with your guidance.. =)

However, I'm wondering what is the use of 2 when the integral is just zero?

The 2 comes in when the expression on the right is developed.

Stat Dad -- Thank you for your guidance on this problem -- I was terribly lost and had a very similar question!

Related to Minimize expected value of the absolute difference

1. What does it mean to "minimize expected value of the absolute difference"?

Minimizing the expected value of the absolute difference refers to finding the optimal solution that minimizes the average difference between a set of values and a given target value.

2. Why is minimizing expected value of the absolute difference important in science?

In science, minimizing the expected value of the absolute difference can help us make accurate predictions and improve the precision of our experiments. It can also help us identify patterns and relationships between variables.

3. How is the expected value of the absolute difference calculated?

The expected value of the absolute difference is calculated by taking the absolute difference between each value and the target value, then multiplying it by the probability of that value occurring. These values are then summed together to get the expected value.

4. Can minimizing expected value of the absolute difference be applied to any type of data?

Yes, minimizing the expected value of the absolute difference can be applied to any type of data, including numerical, categorical, and even qualitative data. It is a versatile concept that can be used in various scientific fields.

5. Are there any limitations to minimizing expected value of the absolute difference?

One limitation is that it assumes that the data follows a normal distribution, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may not be the most appropriate method for all research questions and situations.