Minimum beam dimension for specific max stress

In summary, if the beam is part of a truss with seven other beams, the minimum area of the square cross-section of an individual beam so that the structure will not fail is 6m.
vesu

Homework Statement

A beam (note: part of a truss, I chose to use the beam in the truss with the most force and length for my calculations, which I assume is the correct thing to do) of length [itex]6m[/itex] with a force of [itex]9N[/itex] is being constructed out of a material with a Young's Modulus of [itex]E = 70 \times 10^9 N/m^2[/itex] and it's ultimate stress is [itex]σ_{u} = 110 \times 10^6 N/m^2[/itex]. What is the minimum dimension of the square beam (i.e. cross-section) so that the structure will not fail?

Homework Equations

Spring constant of beam: [itex]k_{beam} = \frac{A \times E}{L}[/itex]
Hooke's Law: [itex] F = k \times ΔL[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{σ}{ε} = \frac{F/A}{ΔL/L}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty lost on what to do here, we barely covered this stuff in lectures. My first thought was simply letting [itex]σ = F/A[/itex] but that doesn't make much sense because surely length is a factor and that method doesn't use the young's modulus at all. My second thought was to substitute [itex]k_{beam}[/itex] into the hooke's law equation, giving [itex] F = \frac{A \times E}{L} \times ΔL[/itex] => [itex]9 = \frac{A \times 70 \times 10^9}{6}[/itex] but I'm not sure where this gets me.

P.S. Sorry if I didn't explain the question very well, I paraphrased a bit because the original question is part of a series of questions and doesn't make a lot of sense on it's own.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just so its clear in my mind: we have a beam spanning 6m with a force of 9N? do you have a sketch of what you are doing? Or perhaps scan in the question page. Just so we're all on the same page lol

cake of doom said:
Just so its clear in my mind: we have a beam spanning 6m with a force of 9N? do you have a sketch of what you are doing? Or perhaps scan in the question page. Just so we're all on the same page lol
We have a truss with seven beams in total, this part of the question is asking for the minimum area of the square cross-section of an individual beam so that the structure will not fail (i.e. so that any individual beam will not fail). There is one beam that has the greatest length and force (6m and 9N) so I am assuming that is the one that should be used for calculations as it will be under the most stress (I think?).

I think that the fact that the beam is part of a truss structure is largely irrelevant to this part of the question but I may be approaching this the wrong way.

vesu said:
We have a truss with seven beams in total, this part of the question is asking for the minimum area of the square cross-section of an individual beam so that the structure will not fail (i.e. so that any individual beam will not fail). There is one beam that has the greatest length and force (6m and 9N) so I am assuming that is the one that should be used for calculations as it will be under the most stress (I think?).

I think that the fact that the beam is part of a truss structure is largely irrelevant to this part of the question but I may be approaching this the wrong way.
Well, it is relevant in that the 9N force is an axial force directed along the longitudinal axis of the member.
Please check the units of the force...9 Newtons is barely any force at all.
You must determine whether the member is in compression or tension.
If in tension, then your F/A equation applies; if in compression, you must not only check F/A, but also buckling allowables. Length and modulus E is important when condsidering compressive loads, in addition to the properties of the cross section. For the tension case, typically you just need to know the area.
You don't have to get into strain or stiffness calculations if you are not looking for deformations.

PhanthomJay said:
Well, it is relevant in that the 9N force is an axial force directed along the longitudinal axis of the member.
Please check the units of the force...9 Newtons is barely any force at all.
You must determine whether the member is in compression or tension.
If in tension, then your F/A equation applies; if in compression, you must not only check F/A, but also buckling allowables. Length and modulus E is important when condsidering compressive loads, in addition to the properties of the cross section. For the tension case, typically you just need to know the area.
You don't have to get into strain or stiffness calculations if you are not looking for deformations.
Hi, sorry the beam is in compression I forgot to mention that. It is definitely 9N.

vesu said:
Hi, sorry the beam is in compression I forgot to mention that. It is definitely 9N.

Elements of a truss are typically not called 'beams', especially in this case where the loading is so slight that you have very small 'members'.
Anyway, compare the compressive stress F/A versus the Euler buckling stress to see which controls the member size required.

PhanthomJay said:
Elements of a truss are typically not called 'beams', especially in this case where the loading is so slight that you have very small 'members'.
Anyway, compare the compressive stress F/A versus the Euler buckling stress to see which controls the member size required.
Woops sorry, the wording in the question seems to alternate between using "beam" and "member" to describe them. I'll give that a shot, thanks! Somehow I completely missed that when looking through my lecture notes.

vesu said:
Woops sorry, the wording in the question seems to alternate between using "beam" and "member" to describe them. I'll give that a shot, thanks! Somehow I completely missed that when looking through my lecture notes.

OK and please check again on the value of the force which you state is 9N. Are you assuming the members have no weight? The weight alone is probably more than that. Where does that number come from?

PhanthomJay said:
OK and please check again on the value of the force which you state is 9N. Are you assuming the members have no weight? The weight alone is probably more than that. Where does that number come from?
They have given us the value of 9N. This is a very introductory class so I think they are just trying to teach us the basics with examples that are not necessarily practical or realistically possible. The weight of the members hasn't been mentioned at any point in anything we've covered involving trusses. Example questions involving calculating the force in a member done in our lectures have had similarly low forces (typically 2-10N) as the answer.

Thanks PhanthomJay, I figured it and the rest of the questions out. Also my apologies, after all my stubbornness it was actually 9kN. I don't know how I managed to repeatedly misread that every time.

Ok, good!

Related to Minimum beam dimension for specific max stress

What is the minimum beam dimension?

The minimum beam dimension refers to the smallest possible size of a beam that can withstand a specific maximum stress without failing.

How is the minimum beam dimension calculated?

The minimum beam dimension is calculated using the formula: minimum beam dimension = (maximum stress * length) / (modulus of elasticity * moment of inertia).

What factors affect the minimum beam dimension?

The minimum beam dimension is affected by factors such as the maximum stress, length of the beam, modulus of elasticity of the material, and the moment of inertia of the cross-sectional shape of the beam.

Why is it important to consider the minimum beam dimension?

Considering the minimum beam dimension is important because it ensures that the beam is strong enough to withstand the specific maximum stress without failing. It also helps in determining the appropriate size and material for the beam, which can save time and resources in construction projects.

Can the minimum beam dimension be increased?

Yes, the minimum beam dimension can be increased by using a stronger material, increasing the length of the beam, or changing the cross-sectional shape of the beam to one with a higher moment of inertia.