Optimal Copper Pipe Size for Misting System

In summary, the conversation discusses attaching a 5/8" garden hose with 70psi pressure to a copper pipe, with mist nozzles mounted along its length. The goal is to maintain consistent pressure at each nozzle. The speaker is considering using either a 3/4" or 1/2" copper pipe for the misting system and mentions the importance of quantifying the amount of water flow to determine the appropriate pipe size.
ljmorlock
TL;DR Summary
Figuring for pressure change due to an increase or decrease in pipe size
I am attaching a standard 5/8" garden hose with approximately 70psi pressure to a copper pipe that is capped on the opposite end with mist nozzles mounted periodically along its length. I want the pressure at each mister to be as similar as possible. The hose attaches at the base, a solid line goes 8 feet vertically and then the misters are mounted on a horizontal portion. For my copper lines I have 3/4" copper and 1/2" copper and I am wondering which I should use to have consistency after coming out of the 5/8" hose and into the misting system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @ljmorlock
Pressure drop for the pipes ( and the garden hose ) will be a factor of the amount of water flow, a factor that you need to quantify by the amount of water ( expected ) to come out of the nozzles.
A pint a minute might be OK, a gallon a minute might not.

1. What is the optimal copper pipe size for a misting system?

The optimal copper pipe size for a misting system depends on various factors such as the water pressure, flow rate, and length of the pipe. Generally, a 3/8 inch copper pipe is recommended for residential misting systems, while a 1/2 inch copper pipe is suitable for commercial systems.

2. Can I use a smaller copper pipe size for my misting system to save money?

While using a smaller copper pipe size may save money initially, it can lead to issues such as low water pressure and clogging in the long run. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate pipe size for your misting system.

3. How does the water pressure affect the choice of copper pipe size for a misting system?

Water pressure plays a crucial role in determining the optimal copper pipe size for a misting system. Higher water pressure requires a larger pipe size to prevent issues such as leaks and bursts. It is important to consider the water pressure when selecting the pipe size for your misting system.

4. Are there any other factors besides pipe size that can affect the performance of a misting system?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the performance of a misting system, such as the nozzle size, spacing, and placement. These factors should be considered along with the pipe size to ensure optimal performance of the misting system.

5. Can I use a different material besides copper for my misting system?

While copper is the most commonly used material for misting systems, there are other options available such as stainless steel and plastic. However, it is important to consult with a professional to determine the most suitable material for your specific misting system needs.