Motion in 1D direction, kinematics

In summary, two jetliners traveling at different speeds and in opposite directions will pass each other 2.4 hours after takeoff, at a distance of 2000 km away from San Francisco. This can be calculated by equating the time and distance equations for each plane.
darklich21

Homework Statement

A jetliner leaves San Franciso for New york, 4600 km away. With a strong tailwind, its speed is 1100 km/hr. At the same time, a s2nd jet leaves New York for San Francisco. Flying into the wind, it makes only 700 km/hr. When and where do the two planes pass each other?

Homework Equations

x=x0 + v0T + 0.5at^2
Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf= Vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, from what I know I'm going to make 2 separate sets of equations and somehow equate them, 1 of them in terms of distance, and another one in terms of time. But I don't really know where to start.

the answer was given to me, they'll be at the same point 2.5 hours later @ 2000km. I don't know how to get this. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint: How long distance has the planes traveled together when they meet?

When the planes meet, duration of flight time must be the same.
In that time interval, one plane has traveled x km and the other (4500 - x ) km.

Well I need to find both the time they meet, and the distance where they meet. But how would I set this up in terms of an equation?

Both the planes are moving with uniform velocity. What is the relation between the velocity, time and distance?

D=vt

Im not seeing how that helps me at this point. Doesn't this problem have something to do with equating equations or something of the sort?

I had a bit of a break through, Ok so I found the time at which they will be at the same distance, which was 2.4 hours. I did 4600km/700km/hr= 6.57hr, which is how long the 2nd plane would take to reach the other side, and I also did 4600 km/1100km.hr which is 4.18 hours, which is how long it would take the first plane to reach the other side from where the 2nd plane started.

But how would I find the distance

t = x km / (1100 km/h) = (4500 - x) km/( 700 km/h)

FAQ: Motion in 1D direction, kinematics

1. What is the definition of motion in 1D direction?

Motion in 1D direction refers to the movement of an object along a straight line path, known as the x-axis, with no change in direction. This type of motion can be described using concepts such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending positions of the object. Displacement takes into account both the distance traveled and the direction of motion.

3. How is speed different from velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of motion, while speed does not consider direction.

4. What is the equation for acceleration in 1D motion?

The equation for acceleration in 1D motion is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This equation can also be written as a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time.

5. How does the slope of a position-time graph relate to velocity?

The slope of a position-time graph represents the object's velocity. A steeper slope indicates a greater velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller velocity. A horizontal line on a position-time graph indicates that the object is at rest, while a diagonal line indicates constant velocity.

Back