1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in 1D direction, kinematics

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A jetliner leaves San Franciso for New york, 4600 km away. With a strong tailwind, its speed is 1100 km/hr. At the same time, a s2nd jet leaves New York for San Francisco. Flying into the wind, it makes only 700 km/hr. When and where do the two planes pass each other?

2. Relevant equations
    x=x0 + v0T + 0.5at^2
    Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2ad
    Vf= Vi + at

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically, from what I know I'm going to make 2 separate sets of equations and somehow equate them, 1 of them in terms of distance, and another one in terms of time. But I don't really know where to start.

the answer was given to me, they'll be at the same point 2.5 hours later @ 2000km. I dont know how to get this. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    A hint: How long distance has the planes travelled together when they meet?

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the planes meet, duration of flight time must be the same.
    In that time interval, one plane has traveled x km and the other (4500 - x ) km.

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    Well I need to find both the time they meet, and the distance where they meet. But how would I set this up in terms of an equation?

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Both the planes are moving with uniform velocity. What is the relation between the velocity, time and distance?

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6
  8. Sep 18, 2009 #7
    Im not seeing how that helps me at this point. Doesn't this problem have something to do with equating equations or something of the sort?

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8
    I had a bit of a break through, Ok so I found the time at which they will be at the same distance, which was 2.4 hours. I did 4600km/700km/hr= 6.57hr, which is how long the 2nd plane would take to reach the other side, and I also did 4600 km/1100km.hr which is 4.18 hours, which is how long it would take the first plane to reach the other side from where the 2nd plane started.

But how would I find the distance

10. Sep 18, 2009 #9

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

t = x km / (1100 km/h) = (4500 - x) km/( 700 km/h)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook