What Are Some Delicious Marinade Ideas for Chicken Wings?

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the author brought 20 chicken wings and needs some ideas for marinades. Two possible ideas are honey-BBQ-habanero and campaign dressing. The author also mentions that if using a poultry marinade, it must be cooked thoroughly.
Aero51
I brought 20 something chicken wings and I need some good ideas for Marinades.

I've got two so far:

Honey-BBQ-Habanero
Campaign Dressing <==never tried this before

I need more suggestions, and good suggestions!
Go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you like spice? I marinade and baste my grilled shrimp with something I just threw together once. No measures, but in rough terms of quantity:

Cheap red wine
olive oil
catsup
ranch dressing or similar (roasted red pepper is good)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
I clove of garlic (crushed)
Habanero sauce ( I make my own, but any really hot salsa should suffice)
molasses
oregano
salt
pepper

This is an all-purpose marinade/basting sauce for grilling. It works really well for shrimp and for chicken parts. Good luck.

Edit: Remember that poultry marinades must be thoroughly cooked (if used as a grilling sauce). Kill them salmonella bugs.

I usually make my own marinades when cooking. I make them up as my mood suits me. This is approximately what I made as a marinade for shrimp several weeks ago:

Vinegar equal to 1/3 to 1/2 of the final volume
Lemon juice
Brown sugar to taste
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
Small cube of ginger (approx. 1/4 inch on a side), finely chopped
Crushed red pepper - about two tablespoons

You can substitute orange juice or red wine for the lemon juice. You can also throw in spicy mustard if you like. The 'marinade' part can end here and it has a nice spicy sweet taste something close to General Tso's chicken. Of course, the longer you let it sit, the more that it soaks in. For dinner parties, I advise letting it marinade overnight.

For the shrimp that I prepared, I then slowly mixed in a 50/50 mix of regular and corn meal flour until it formed a more solid coating. I cooked it in a pan with a little oil but a deep fryer would work better. Enjoy. :smile:

Last edited:
One can go for hot and spicy, as in Atomic Chicken Wings, or Tandoori, or curried, or chicken wings cordon bleu.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I got some Asian teriyaki sauce by accident so I am forced to use it. I brought sugar cane too so I'd like to come up with a good marinade that uses it. I may go with Borg's idea though.

I was going to make my own marinade/sauce/etc after hearing a recipe that had spicy + cranberry in the title. Not exactly this :
http://www.oceanspray.com/Recipes/Corporate/Appetizers/Spicy-Cranberry-Chicken-Drummettes.aspx

But it was one for meatballs (but could probably work on anything).

I have a feeling that the tart-cranberries + sugar + spicy chilies could make an amazing combination.

Related to What Are Some Delicious Marinade Ideas for Chicken Wings?

1. What is a marinade and why is it important?

A marinade is a mixture of ingredients that is used to flavor and tenderize meat, seafood, or vegetables. It is important because it helps to infuse flavor into the food and also helps to break down tougher cuts of meat, making them more tender.

2. How long should I marinate my food?

The time needed to marinate food depends on several factors, including the type of food being marinated and the desired flavor intensity. Generally, for meats, marinating for 2-4 hours is sufficient, while tougher cuts may benefit from longer marinating times of 6-8 hours. For vegetables, marinating for 30 minutes to an hour is usually enough.

3. What ingredients should I include in a marinade?

A basic marinade typically includes an acid (such as lemon juice or vinegar), oil, herbs and spices, and a sweetener (such as honey or sugar). However, the specific ingredients can vary depending on personal preference and the type of food being marinated. For example, a marinade for chicken may include ingredients like garlic, soy sauce, and ginger, while a marinade for fish may include lemon, dill, and olive oil.

4. Can I reuse a marinade?

It is not recommended to reuse a marinade that has come into contact with raw meat, seafood, or poultry. This is because the marinade may contain harmful bacteria from the raw food. If you want to use the marinade for basting or as a sauce, it is best to reserve a portion of the marinade before adding the raw food.

5. Can I marinate food for too long?

Yes, it is possible to marinate food for too long. If food is left in a marinade for too long, the acid can break down the protein too much, resulting in a mushy texture. As a general rule, it is best to marinate food for no more than 24 hours.