Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need An Idea for a Marinade

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    I brought 20 something chicken wings and I need some good idea's for Marinades.

I've got two so far:

Honey-BBQ-Habanero
    Campaign Dressing <==never tried this before

I need more suggestions, and good suggestions!
    Go.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Do you like spice? I marinade and baste my grilled shrimp with something I just threw together once. No measures, but in rough terms of quantity:

Cheap red wine
    olive oil
    catsup
    ranch dressing or similar (roasted red pepper is good)
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    I clove of garlic (crushed)
    Habanero sauce ( I make my own, but any really hot salsa should suffice)
    molasses
    oregano
    salt
    pepper

This is an all-purpose marinade/basting sauce for grilling. It works really well for shrimp and for chicken parts. Good luck.

Edit: Remember that poultry marinades must be thoroughly cooked (if used as a grilling sauce). Kill them salmonella bugs.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Teriyaki sauce

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually make my own marinades when cooking. I make them up as my mood suits me. This is approximately what I made as a marinade for shrimp several weeks ago:

Vinegar equal to 1/3 to 1/2 of the final volume
    Lemon juice
    Brown sugar to taste
    1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
    Small cube of ginger (approx. 1/4 inch on a side), finely chopped
    Crushed red pepper - about two tablespoons

You can substitute orange juice or red wine for the lemon juice. You can also throw in spicy mustard if you like. The 'marinade' part can end here and it has a nice spicy sweet taste something close to General Tso's chicken. Of course, the longer you let it sit, the more that it soaks in. For dinner parties, I advise letting it marinade overnight.

For the shrimp that I prepared, I then slowly mixed in a 50/50 mix of regular and corn meal flour until it formed a more solid coating. I cooked it in a pan with a little oil but a deep fryer would work better. Enjoy. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. Mar 22, 2013 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One can go for hot and spicy, as in Atomic Chicken Wings, or Tandoori, or curried, or chicken wings cordon bleu.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    Thanks guys, I got some Asian teriyaki sauce by accident so I am forced to use it. I brought sugar cane too so I'd like to come up with a good marinade that uses it. I may go with Borg's idea though.

8. Mar 27, 2013 #7

Hepth

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook