Need equipment and ideas for an experiment

In summary, AbhirupSteel ball bearings are available in a variety of sizes in many hardware stores in the US. Various online suppliers can provide other materials with a wide range of diameters and densities. The aim is to observe the time period of a sphere on a hemisphere with changing masses. It would be great if you could suggest any other ways to test the same. 20cm was chosen as the effect of damping on something smaller was significant leading to larger uncertainties.
Natus Homonymus
I require balls (about the size of a small marble) of different masses. I have no idea how to go about this and your help would be greatly appreciated!

I also need an hemisphere (about 20cm in radius). I though of 3D printing the same, and it's extremely expensive. Any alternative ideas?
Thanks a lot,
Abhirup

Engineering news on Phys.org
Steel ball bearings are available in a variety of sizes in many hardware stores in the US. Various online suppliers can provide other materials with a wide range of diameters and densities. See: https://www.smallparts.com.au/store/categories/balls+categories/

In the US, lead balls are available in many sporting goods stores because they are shot from muzzleloading rifles and pistols. I have some that I use in free fall experiments, because air resistance can be neglected with reasonable accuracy.

The 20 cm hemisphere is harder. I'd work toward an experimental design where it was not needed. A good experimentalist figures out how to design affordable experiments. Including materials before you figure out how to affordably source them is bad form.

Dr. Courtney said:
The 20 cm hemisphere is harder. I'd work toward an experimental design where it was not needed. A good experimentalist figures out how to design affordable experiments. Including materials before you figure out how to affordably source them is bad form.
The aim is to observe the time period of a sphere on a hemisphere with changing masses. It would be great if you could suggest any other ways to test the same. 20cm was chosen as the effect of damping on something smaller was significant leading to larger uncertainties.

Building supply stores sell wooden balls (on a base) for decorating the tops of posts, some approaching 20 cm. You could probably saw off the top half.

Cross posted, I didn't realize you needed a hollow hemisphere. Buy a cheap cardboard globe and cut it in half? Mold paper mache over a ball of suitable size?

Try McMaster Carr - a good source for various materials in basic stock forms

But even the local hardware store may have a variety like, cork, rubber, wood, stainless - etc... esp if you have one of those good old scholol types.

So you need the inside of a hollow sphere? There are some reasonable suggestions above.

But if your experiment can be done in 2 dimensions rather than three, a short section of PVC pipe in the appropriate diameter would be cheap and cheerful (or an end cap or coupling). Cylinders are often easier than spheres.

Natus Homonymus said:
The aim is to observe the time period of a sphere on a hemisphere with changing masses. It would be great if you could suggest any other ways to test the same. 20cm was chosen as the effect of damping on something smaller was significant leading to larger uncertainties.
Buy a stainless steel salad bowl for the hemisphere. Easy. Look for standard size balls around 1cm diameter in wood, steel, lead, hollow plastic, etc. Have fun!

A small globe of the Earth or Moon for the (hemi)sphere.
Other possibilities may turn up in School Supply, Arts and Crafts, or Home Decorating stores.
And it probably doesn't even have to be a hemisphere, just concave with rotational symmetry.

1. What type of equipment do I need for my experiment?

The specific types of equipment you will need for your experiment will depend on the nature of your experiment and the materials you are working with. Some common equipment that scientists use in experiments include beakers, test tubes, pipettes, Bunsen burners, microscopes, and balances. It is important to carefully plan and research the necessary equipment for your experiment to ensure accurate and reliable results.

2. Can I use everyday household items for my experiment?

It is possible to use everyday household items for certain types of experiments, but it is important to consider the accuracy and reliability of your results. In some cases, specialized equipment may be necessary to ensure the validity of your experiment. It is best to consult with a scientific expert or conduct thorough research to determine the appropriate equipment needed for your specific experiment.

3. How do I come up with ideas for my experiment?

There are a variety of ways to come up with ideas for a scientific experiment. Some strategies include brainstorming, researching current scientific studies and literature, and identifying a problem or question that you are interested in exploring. Collaborating with other scientists or seeking guidance from a mentor can also help generate ideas for your experiment.

4. Is there a certain format or structure for designing an experiment?

While there is no one set format for designing an experiment, there are some general guidelines that can help ensure its success. These include clearly defining your research question or hypothesis, identifying the variables in your experiment, designing a control group, and carefully selecting and controlling your experimental conditions. It is also important to thoroughly analyze and interpret your results and draw conclusions based on the data collected.

5. Can I conduct an experiment without any prior experience?

While it is possible to conduct an experiment without prior experience, it is recommended to have some background knowledge or training in the specific field of study. This can help ensure the accuracy and reliability of your experiment. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced scientists or mentors and carefully follow proper scientific techniques and protocols.