How Far Will a Box Slide Before Stopping on a Frictional Surface?

In summary, to determine the distance it takes for a 25 kg box to stop sliding with a speed of 12m/s on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.15, you need to use the formula W=Fd and the relationship between kinetic energy and force of friction. By dividing the kinetic energy by the force of friction, you can solve for the distance the box travels. This solution was confirmed to be correct by checking the answer in the back, and it is not just a coincidence.
PinkFly
1. Determine the distance it takes for a 25 kg box to stop sliding if it has a speed of 12m/s on a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.15.

2. W=F*d
Coefficient of friction = Force of friction/Normal Force
Kinetic energy = 1/2*m*v^2

3. With the mass and the coefficient of friction, I got the force of friction.
With the mass and velocity, I got the kinetic energy.
Then I divided the Kinetic energy by the force of friction because the Newton's would cancel out and I would be left with meters.

Is this the right solution? I checked the answer in the back and it is correct but I'm not sure if this was just a coincidence.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Kinetic Energy is equal to the work that the friction force must do to stop the box. Since W=Fd, the distance that box travels is d=W/F. So yes, you did it correctly.

Related to How Far Will a Box Slide Before Stopping on a Frictional Surface?

What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is important because it is necessary for all living things to survive and for technology to function.

What are the different types of energy?

The main types of energy are: thermal (heat), radiant (light), chemical, mechanical, electrical, and nuclear.

How can energy be converted from one form to another?

Energy can be converted from one form to another through various processes such as combustion, photosynthesis, and electricity generation.

What are some renewable sources of energy?

Renewable sources of energy include solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and biomass. These sources can be replenished naturally and are considered sustainable.

How can we reduce our energy consumption?

Some ways to reduce energy consumption include using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, and using alternative modes of transportation such as biking or public transportation.