Net electric flux through torus

In summary, the net electric flux through the torus can be calculated using Gauss's law, with the enclosed charge of -1 nC and the torus chosen as the closed surface. The fact that the torus has an outer and inner surface makes it a closed surface, and the radius of the object is not necessary to determine the area.
dtesselstrom

Homework Statement

What is the net electric flux through the torus (i.e., doughnut shape) of the figure

Homework Equations

net flux= E*A I believe is needed

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this problem at all. I feel like I don't have enough information to calculate the answer. Any advice as how to start this problem because I don't have the radius of the objects so how can I figure out the area.

Attachments

• knight_Figure_27_22.jpg
    knight_Figure_27_22.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,854
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Gauss's law. The enclosed charge is - 1 nC if you choose the torus as the closed surface. It is a closed surface since it has an outer and inner surface and one cannot pass from the one to the other.

andrevdh said:
Use Gauss's law. The enclosed charge is - 1 nC if you choose the torus as the closed surface. It is a closed surface since it has an outer and inner surface and one cannot pass from the one to the other.

I had the same problem! you are right! thanks~

1. What is net electric flux through a torus?

The net electric flux through a torus is a measure of the total electric field passing through the surface of the torus. It takes into account both the strength and direction of the electric field lines passing through the surface.

2. How is net electric flux through a torus calculated?

The net electric flux through a torus is calculated by taking the integral of the dot product of the electric field and the surface vector over the entire surface of the torus. This can be expressed mathematically as Φ = ∫∫E⋅dA, where Φ is the net electric flux, E is the electric field, and dA is the surface vector element.

3. What factors affect the net electric flux through a torus?

The net electric flux through a torus is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the size and shape of the torus. The orientation of the torus with respect to the electric field can also impact the net electric flux.

4. How does the net electric flux through a torus relate to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. For a torus, the enclosed charge would be the charge enclosed by the torus itself, and the permittivity of free space is a constant. Therefore, the net electric flux through a torus can be calculated using Gauss's Law.

5. Can the net electric flux through a torus be negative?

Yes, the net electric flux through a torus can be negative. This would occur when the electric field and the surface vector of the torus are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product and a negative net electric flux value.