Net electric force in particles in triangular formation

In summary, the homework statement states that three positive point charges are arranged in a triangular pattern in a plane, with the Coulomb constant being 8.98755×109 N·m2/C2. The magnitude of the net electric force on the 2 nC charge is found to be 6.740625e-9 N.
nn3568

Homework Statement

Three positive point charges are arranged in a triangular pattern in a plane, as shown below. The Coulomb constant is 8.98755 × 109 N · m2/C2.
Find the magnitude of the net electric force on the 2 nC charge. Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

Fe = (kq1q2) / (d2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking at this thread with the exact same problem and I followed the directions. However, I don't know what I am doing wrong.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1892198"

My diagram: (it's like the picture given in the thread I looked at but just with different numbers)

3nC
(+)
|
2m
||---2m---|
-------------(+) 2nC
|
2m
|
(+)
6nC

What I tried to do:
((8.9875e-9)(2e-9)(3e-9))/((sqroot(8))2) = 6.740625e-9
((8.9875e-9)(2e-9)(6e-9))/((sqroot(8))2) = 1.348125e-8
cos(45)6.740625e-9 + sin(45)6.740625e-9 = 9.53268329e-9
-cos(45)1.348125e-8 + sin(45)1.348125e-8 = 0

After that I am confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd write it out more simply to keep track of what's going on.

F1 = k*2*nC*(3/(2*4) i - 3/(2*4) j)
F2 = k*2*nC*(6/2*4) i + 6/(2*4) j)

Fnet = (k*nC/4)*(9 i + 3 j)

|Fnet| = (k*nC/4)*(81 + 9)1/2

LowlyPion said:
I'd write it out more simply to keep track of what's going on.

F1 = k*2*nC*(3/(2*4) i - 3/(2*4) j)
F2 = k*2*nC*(6/2*4) i + 6/(2*4) j)

Fnet = (k*nC/4)*(9 i + 3 j)

|Fnet| = (k*nC/4)*(81 + 9)1/2

I still don't understand what i and j are and where all the other numbers came from.

nn3568 said:
I still don't understand what i and j are and where all the other numbers came from.

F is a vector right?

i,j are the x,y components of the vector.

The d or r radius is to the charges that are √2*2 away.
When you square that it's 2*4 right?

ok, then what about the "2*nC" part? nC is nano-Coulombs though...
Am I supposed to find the force between 3nC and 2nC and then the force between 2nC and 6nC? After that, do I use the Pythagorean theorem to get the resultant force?

OK, nevermind. I did what I just posted and I got it right!

F1 = ((8.9875e-9)(2e-9)(3e-9))/((sqroot(8))2) = 6.740625e-9
F2 = ((8.9875e-9)(2e-9)(6e-9))/((sqroot(8))2) = 1.348125e-8
sqroot ((F1)^2 + (F2)^2) = approx. 1.51e-8

YAY!

NOw, another question.

How do I find the direction of this force?

I did
inversetan(f1/f2) = 26.6 but it's wrong

nn3568 said:
ok, then what about the "2*nC" part? nC is nano-Coulombs though...
Am I supposed to find the force between 3nC and 2nC and then the force between 2nC and 6nC? After that, do I use the Pythagorean theorem to get the resultant force?

That would be the method.

I didn't run the math. Apparently it works for you. So good.

nn3568 said:
NOw, another question.

How do I find the direction of this force?

I did
inversetan(f1/f2) = 26.6 but it's wrong

Aren't the components in the ratio (3 j)/(9 i) = 1/3 ?

Arctan(1/3) is angle with the positive x axis?

oh i see. thanks so much for your help! I've learned more from you than from my teacher...

1. What is the net electric force in a triangular formation of particles?

The net electric force in a triangular formation of particles is the vector sum of all the individual electric forces acting on each particle. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each electric force to determine the overall force on the formation.

2. How do you calculate the net electric force in a triangular formation?

To calculate the net electric force in a triangular formation, you need to first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual electric force using Coulomb's Law. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant force, taking into account the angle and direction of each individual force.

3. Can the net electric force in a triangular formation be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the net electric force in a triangular formation to be zero. This can occur if the individual electric forces cancel each other out due to their magnitude and direction, resulting in a balanced or neutral formation.

4. How does the distance between particles affect the net electric force in a triangular formation?

The distance between particles has a direct impact on the net electric force in a triangular formation. As the distance increases, the magnitude of each individual electric force decreases, resulting in a weaker net force on the formation. On the other hand, a smaller distance between particles will result in a stronger net force.

5. What is the significance of the arrangement of particles in a triangular formation on the net electric force?

The arrangement of particles in a triangular formation can greatly affect the net electric force. For example, if the particles are arranged in a symmetrical manner, the individual electric forces may cancel each other out leading to a net force of zero. However, if the particles are arranged in a non-symmetrical manner, the resultant force may be non-zero, resulting in a net electric force on the formation.