Max Height of 2kg Object in Newton Law Problem

In summary, two objects with masses 5kg and 2kg are hanging from a cord 6m long over a frictionless pulley. Both objects start from rest and the question is asking for the maximum height reached by the 2kg object. Using Newton's laws and kinematic equations, the answer is approximately 1.4m, but there may be a typo as the reasoning suggests the answer should be 1.2m.
physstudent1
1. "two objects with masses 5kg and 2kg hang .6 m above the floor from the ends of a cord 6m long passing over a frictionless pulley. Both objects start from rest. Find the maximum height reached by the 2kg object.

Homework Equations

Newton's laws.
Kinematic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is around 1.4 but I keep thinking its 1.2m.
My thinking is that the heavier block will fall .6m causing the rope to pull on the lighter block raising it .6m and making the total height of that block .6m + .6m = 1.2m ... I don't know what else to try I tried solving for a and using kinematics but I just got 1.19 which is basically the same thing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can see the answer should be 1.2 m . Are you sure you have written down the question properly ?

yes I am sure maybe a typo in the answers?

Must be a typo .

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a 2kg object in a Newton Law problem?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a 2kg object in a Newton Law problem is h = v2/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the initial velocity in a Newton Law problem?

The initial velocity can be determined by dividing the force applied to the object by its mass. This is represented by the formula v = F/m, where v is the initial velocity, F is the force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. Is the maximum height affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance does affect the maximum height of a 2kg object in a Newton Law problem. The presence of air resistance will cause the object to lose some of its initial velocity, resulting in a lower maximum height.

4. Can the maximum height of a 2kg object in a Newton Law problem be greater than the initial height?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum height of a 2kg object to be greater than the initial height in a Newton Law problem. This can occur if the object is thrown with enough initial velocity to counteract the effects of gravity and air resistance.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the maximum height in a Newton Law problem?

The unit of measurement for the maximum height in a Newton Law problem is meters (m).