Newton's 2nd Law: What is the Definition?

In summary, there are two forms of the second law of motion, F=ma and F=dp/dt. Both definitions are correct and equivalent for constant mass systems. However, for variable mass systems, F=dp/dt becomes frame-dependent and F=ma is often used instead. This can be adjusted by considering thrust as an external force.
jinhuit95
I'm just curious about the second law. I was taught in secondary school that the definition of the 2nd law was just when a resultant force acts on an object with a constant mass, the object will accelerate and move in the direction of the resultant force. The product of the mass and the acceleration of the object is the resultant force. However, the definition of 2nd law I've learned is the rate of change of momentum is directly proportional to the net external force acting on the body and takes place in the same direction of the force. Which is correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
jinhuit95 said:
I'm just curious about the second law. I was taught in secondary school that the definition of the 2nd law was just when a resultant force acts on an object with a constant mass, the object will accelerate and move in the direction of the resultant force. The product of the mass and the acceleration of the object is the resultant force. However, the definition of 2nd law I've learned is the rate of change of momentum is directly proportional to the net external force acting on the body and takes place in the same direction of the force. Which is correct??

Both. They say exactly the same thing. The "net external force" is another name for the "resultant force." For constant mass, the rate of change of momentum is equal to the mass times the acceleration. In your second definition, the rate of change of momentum is more than just directly proportional to the net external force. It is equal to the net external force.

Chet

The two forms, F=ma and F=dp/dt, are equivalent for constant mass systems. Arguing which is right in this context is an exercise of counting the number of angels that dance on the head of a pin.

They are anything but the same for a variable mass system. F=dp/dt becomes a frame-dependent quantity. In other words, Fext is not well defined with this definition. People who work with variable mass systems inevitably use F=ma because this is a frame invariant quantity (ignoring relativistic effects, of course). This creates a different problem, which is the things we think of as "external forces" don't account for all of the acceleration. This problem is easily addressed by counting "thrust" (change in momentum due to expelled/accumulated mass) as an external force.

Related to Newton's 2nd Law: What is the Definition?

What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is the formula for Newton's 2nd Law?

The formula for Newton's 2nd Law is F=ma, where F represents net force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

How does Newton's 2nd Law relate to real-life situations?

Newton's 2nd Law can be observed in everyday situations, such as pushing a shopping cart or throwing a ball. The force applied (push or throw) determines the acceleration of the object.

What are the units for Newton's 2nd Law?

The units for Newton's 2nd Law are Newtons (N) for force, kilograms (kg) for mass, and meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration.

What is the difference between Newton's 2nd Law and Newton's 1st Law?

Newton's 1st Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's 2nd Law deals with the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, whereas Newton's 1st Law focuses on the concept of inertia.