1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal analysis

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    For the following circuit, can someone please correct my equations for nodal analysis (KCL)
    9i5w11.png

I am especially unsure about my second equation because of the dependent voltage source to the left of the node.

1) I1 = (V1 - 3I2)/1
    2) 0 = V3/2 + (V3 -V2)/2
    3) I2 = (V2-V3)/2 + 2V3

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

(1) and (2) are wrong.

N.B., current flows though every element in the circuit.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    the dependent sources are throwing me off. are the equations at least partially correct?

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your third equation is okay. The first equation is ignoring the fact that the controlled voltage source 3I2 is connected to V3, not ground. The second equation is ignoring any current that may be flowing into the V3 node via the 3I2 source.

What is it you are expected to solve for? Is it the three voltages in terms of currents I1 and I2?

You might find it beneficial to write an equation in terms of the supernode (as indicated by the line breaks):

attachment.php?attachmentid=40509&stc=1&d=1320006593.gif

Attached Files:

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    ultimately, i will be solving for y-param. i was able to do so using mesh analysis instead, but i was hoping to try and obtain the nodal equations to double check my answers.

7. Nov 1, 2011 #6

The Electrician

Gold Member

Are you wanting the Y parameters only for the two-port? That is, just for V1-I1 as the input and V2-I2 as the output, in effect reducing the whole circuit to just a two-port?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook