How Do I Solve Normal Distribution Problems Beyond the Standard Z-Table Range?

In summary, when solving problems involving the normal distribution, you may encounter situations where the range of values needed is beyond what is given in your textbook table. In these cases, you can use online resources or equations to calculate the needed probabilities.
semidevil
the only tables that I see go from -3 to 3 in my textbooks. but I keep seeing problems on the textbooks tha ask for p( -4.5 < z < .5)

how do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
what are you talking about? Be more specific.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
what are you talking about? Be more specific.

Regards,

Nenad

I mean, like whenever I solve problems using the normal distribution table, the table only ranges from -3 to +3. and a lot of problems, ask me to solve, when p(-4.5 < z < .5) or something like that. How do I solve it if my table doesn't go that high/low?

semidevil said:
the only tables that I see go from -3 to 3 in my textbooks. but I keep seeing problems on the textbooks tha ask for p( -4.5 < z < .5)

how do I solve this?
There are several options. Web Site #1 below offers interactive calculation of both Normal Distribution and Inverse Normal Distribution for {-7.0 < z < +7.0}. Web Site #2 provides tabulated values of Normal Distribution tail probabilities for {0 < z < +9.5}, with larger "z" values given in the extended table below the main table. Finally, you can calculate your own Normal Distribution CDF's from Equations #10-14 and other references given in Web Site #3 below.

URL #1 ---> http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/z_table.html
URL #2 ---> http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm
URL #3 ---> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/NormalDistributionFunction.html

~~

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do I Solve Normal Distribution Problems Beyond the Standard Z-Table Range?

1. What is a normal distribution table?

A normal distribution table, also known as a standard normal table or z-table, is a mathematical tool used to find the probability of a specific value occurring in a normal distribution. It is typically used in statistics and probability to calculate the area under the curve for a given value or range of values.

2. How is a normal distribution table used?

A normal distribution table is used to find the probability of a specific value occurring in a normal distribution. This is done by finding the corresponding z-score (standard deviation) for the given value and looking up the corresponding probability in the table. It can also be used to find the area under the curve for a given range of values by subtracting the probability of the lower value from the probability of the higher value.

3. What is the difference between a standard normal table and a normal distribution table?

A standard normal table is a specific type of normal distribution table that is used when the mean of the distribution is 0 and the standard deviation is 1. This makes it easier to calculate probabilities and areas under the curve. A normal distribution table, on the other hand, can be used for any normal distribution with any mean and standard deviation.

4. Where can I find a normal distribution table?

Normal distribution tables can be found in many statistics textbooks and online. They are also often included in statistical software packages or calculators. It is important to make sure you are using a reliable and accurate table for your calculations.

5. Can I use a normal distribution table for non-normal distributions?

No, a normal distribution table is only applicable for normal distributions. For non-normal distributions, other statistical methods and tables may be used to calculate probabilities and areas under the curve.