Number of Particles: Ne vs O - Is it the Same?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether 5 L of neon and 5 L of oxygen contain the same number of particles. The book states that they do, but the speaker argues that this is not true based on their respective molecular weights. They also consider the number of particles per atom for each element and suggest that neon may have more particles in the same volume. The conversation also briefly touches on the question of whether the oxygen is in the form of O or O2.
scientifico

Homework Statement

Do 5 L of Ne contain the same number of particles contained in 5 L of O ?

2. The attempt at a solution
The book say yes but I know that 5 L of Neon are 4.5 g and 5 L of Oxygen are 7.15 g.
So dividing them for their molecular weight I obtain 0.22 u and 0.44 u that aren't tha same :(
Where do I wrong?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of particles? If you are referring to atoms, then, according to Avogadro's Law yes, it is true. But, if you consider 20Ne as the most abundant isotope being consisted of 10 protons, 10 electrons and 10 neutrons, then there are 30 particles per atom of neon, while if you consider 16O as the most abundant isotope of oxygen, then there are 8 protons, 8 electrons and 8 neutrons per atom, i.e. 24 particles per atom. So, in this sense, neon would have more particles in the same volume.

O or O2?

if would be O2 it's right to me but it says O

I don't like nonsensical questions. If it contains just O, in a blink it will contain O2, and the number of "particles" goes down by half.

Related to Number of Particles: Ne vs O - Is it the Same?

1. What is the difference between Ne and O in terms of number of particles?

Ne and O have different number of particles, as Ne (neon) has 10 protons and 10 electrons, while O (oxygen) has 8 protons and 8 electrons. Therefore, Ne has 10 particles and O has 8 particles.

2. Is the number of particles in Ne and O exactly the same?

No, the number of particles in Ne and O is not exactly the same. As mentioned before, Ne has 10 particles and O has 8 particles. However, they both have 8 neutrons, which makes their atomic masses almost identical.

3. How does the number of particles affect the properties of Ne and O?

The number of particles, specifically the number of electrons, determines the chemical properties of an element. Ne and O have different numbers of electrons, which leads to differences in their reactivity and chemical behavior.

4. Can the number of particles be changed in Ne and O?

Yes, the number of particles in Ne and O can be changed by adding or removing protons, neutrons, or electrons. This process is known as nuclear reactions and can result in the creation of different elements.

5. How do scientists determine the number of particles in Ne and O?

The number of particles in Ne and O can be determined through various experiments and techniques such as mass spectrometry and X-ray crystallography. These methods allow scientists to observe and analyze the atomic structure of elements and determine the number of particles present.