Solving Hard Integral: \int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}

In summary, the homework statement is to integrate sin x over the range -π to π using the Chain Rule. The Attempt at a Solution suggests that the Integral can be solved using complex methods.
matematikuvol

Homework Statement

Solve

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{t\to \infty}\int^{t}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{x}=v[/tex]

so

[tex]\lim_{t\to \infty}\int^{t}_0\frac{\sin v^2}{v}[/tex]

Integration by parts maybe? What is idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not forget dx from the integral. When substituting, you need to transform dx too.

ehild

Mistake

I will get

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_0\sin v^2dv[/tex]

matematikuvol said:
Mistake

I will get

[tex]2\int^{\infty}_0\sin v^2dv[/tex]
You will get [itex]\displaystyle \int^{t}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx=2\int^{\sqrt{t}}_0\sin (v^2)\,dv\,. [/itex]

SammyS said:
You will get [itex]\displaystyle \int^{t}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx=2\int^{\sqrt{t}}_0\sin (v^2)\,dv\,. [/itex]
But t goes into [tex]\infty[/tex] so I write in correct way last step.

Have you been introduced to the idea of using contours in the complex plane to solve integrals on the real line? Because if you have, that seems like the simplest way to solve this.

Is there some other way?

No, not every problem has a trivial solution!

matematikuvol said:
Is there some other way?

Nope, have you been introduced to the idea I mentioned? I find it hard to believe that this question would be set if you haven't...

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}=\lim_{a\rightarrow 0^+}\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}e^{-a x}=\lim_{a\rightarrow 0^+}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2(a^2+1)(a+\sqrt{a^2+1})}}[/tex]

Complex methods are not the only way to do integrals.
or
The complex part of complex methods to do integrals can be hidden.
Depending on ones perspective.

Stimpon said:
Nope, have you been introduced to the idea I mentioned? I find it hard to believe that this question would be set if you haven't...

matematikuvol said:
Ok. But I would like to see some trick how to calculate this integral in the desert island :)

I would expect you to have a table of standard integrals or something in which this one is included.

lurflurf said:
[tex]\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}=\lim_{a\rightarrow 0^+}\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}e^{-a x}=\lim_{a\rightarrow 0^+}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2(a^2+1)(a+\sqrt{a^2+1})}}[/tex]

or

And how you get

[tex]\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}}e^{-a x}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2(a^2+1)(a+\sqrt{a^2+1})}}[/tex]

lurflurf said:

or

Looks like a Laplace transform.
Seems to me that it's not trivial to calculate it yourself.
Did you use some table to find the transform?

We want to get rid of the 1/sqrt(t) so substitute
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{ \infty } e^{-s^2 t}ds[/tex]
then interchange s and t integrations
[tex]\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(b t)}{\sqrt{t}}e^{-a t}dt=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{ \infty }\left\{\int_0^{\infty}\sin(b t)e^{-a t}e^{-s^2 t}dt

\right\}ds=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{ \infty } \frac{b}{(s^2+a)^2+b^2} ds=b \cdot \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{(a^2+b^2)(a+\sqrt{a^2+b^2})}}[/tex]
[tex]\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\cos(b t)}{\sqrt{t}}e^{-a t}dt= \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{ \infty }\left\{\int_0^{\infty}\cos(b t)e^{-a t}e^{-s^2 t}dt

\right\}ds=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^{ \infty } \frac{s^2+a}{(s^2+a)^2+b^2} ds=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2} \cdot \frac{a+\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}{a^2+b^2}}[/tex]

That last integral is messy, but it can be done with usual elementary calculus methods and functions. These might be in some Laplace transform tables though often some manipulation is required to get the right form.

Last edited:
Nice trick, lurflurf. But residue theorem leads to a quicker solution, though. Anyway nice post. :)

1. What is the purpose of solving hard integrals?

Solving hard integrals is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to find exact solutions to mathematical problems that cannot be solved using basic algebraic techniques. These solutions can then be used to analyze and model complex systems and phenomena.

2. What makes this particular integral difficult to solve?

The integral \int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin x}{\sqrt{x}} is considered difficult because it involves an oscillatory function (sine) and a non-polynomial term (square root of x), making it challenging to find an exact solution using traditional integration techniques.

3. Are there any strategies or techniques for solving hard integrals?

Yes, there are various strategies and techniques that can be used to solve hard integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and advanced methods like contour integration and the residue theorem.

4. Can this integral be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, numerical methods such as the midpoint rule, trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule can be used to approximate the value of the integral. However, these methods may not provide an exact solution and may require a large number of iterations for accurate results.

5. How is solving integrals related to real-world applications?

Solving integrals is crucial in many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, in physics, integrals are used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement, and in economics, integrals are used to model supply and demand curves and calculate total revenue.