Calculating V0 on a Complex Op Amp Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving an op amp. The objective is to calculate V0 on the 2k resistor and simplify the circuit. The attempt at simplification is shown in the attached picture, but is deemed invalid. The conversation then suggests using the superposition principle to solve the problem, with steps provided. The resulting voltage is calculated to be -8V. There is also a brief discussion about the direction of voltage in the circuit.
dbakg00

Homework Statement

See attached picture. My objective is to calculate V0 on the 2k resistor. I'm used to seeing op amps that are more simple looking. I'm trying to reduce this op amp circuit to a simpler one (my attempt is the bottom picture). My question is: did I simplify the circuit correctly? I subtracted the 1v from the 2v source since they are working against each other and I added the resistors since they are in series. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• op amp2.JPG
    op amp2.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Those two sources do not work against each other, they both have the same direction.

How could they both have the same direction? The negative terminal of the 1v touches the negative terminal of the 2v. Sorry if this is a dumb question...I'm new to circuits.

dbakg00 said:
How could they both have the same direction? The negative terminal of the 1v touches the negative terminal of the 2v. Sorry if this is a dumb question...I'm new to circuits.

Use superposition principle.

1. let V1 = 0 and solve for Vout.
2. let V2 = 0 and solve for Vout.
3. add the two Vout s.

Your "simplified" circuit is invalid, sorry.

I agree, your simplified circuit is not the same. Try calculating the voltage at the inverting input of the op amp of the top circuit and show us what you get.

rude man said:
Use superposition principle.

1. let V1 = 0 and solve for Vout.
2. let V2 = 0 and solve for Vout.
3. add the two Vout s.

Your "simplified" circuit is invalid, sorry.

So if I let the 1V source = 0, do I still consider both the 5k and the 2.5k resistors? I know that in an inverting amplifier, vo = (-R2/R1)vi. R2 is obviously 10k. What is confusing me is what value I would use for R1. If I did the superposition as you suggested, when I killed the 1V source, would R1 = 5k? And then when I killed the 2V source, R1 = 2.5k? Am I on the right track?

When I do superposition, I get the following:

(short circuiting the 1V source)
V01 = Vs1(-R2/R1)
V01 = 2(-10/2)
v01 = -4 V

(short circuiting the 2V source)
V02 = Vs2(-r2/R1)
V02 = 1(-10/2.5)
V02 = -4 V

V0 = V01 + V02
V0 = (-4) + (-4)
V0 = -8

how does that look?

dbakg00 said:
So if I let the 1V source = 0, do I still consider both the 5k and the 2.5k resistors? I know that in an inverting amplifier, vo = (-R2/R1)vi. R2 is obviously 10k. What is confusing me is what value I would use for R1. If I did the superposition as you suggested, when I killed the 1V source, would R1 = 5k? And then when I killed the 2V source, R1 = 2.5k? Am I on the right track?

Yes.

Likes 1 person
dbakg00 said:
When I do superposition, I get the following:

(short circuiting the 1V source)
V01 = Vs1(-R2/R1)
V01 = 2(-10/2)
v01 = -4 V

(short circuiting the 2V source)
V02 = Vs2(-r2/R1)
V02 = 1(-10/2.5)
V02 = -4 V

V0 = V01 + V02
V0 = (-4) + (-4)
V0 = -8

how does that look?

Very good. You made a typo on V02 (2nd line) but still came up with the right answer.

Likes 1 person
Thanks to all for the help!

dbakg00 said:
They are "in parallel" - not exactly due to the resistors, but they share the same direction of voltage between ground and the negative input of the op amp.

Related to Calculating V0 on a Complex Op Amp Circuit

1. How do I determine the value of V0 in a complex op amp circuit?

The value of V0 can be determined by using the formula V0 = A*(V+ - V-), where A is the open-loop gain of the op amp and V+ and V- are the input voltages at the non-inverting and inverting terminals, respectively.

2. What is the significance of V0 in a complex op amp circuit?

V0 represents the output voltage of the op amp circuit, which is the amplified version of the difference between the input voltages at the two terminals. It is an important parameter as it determines the overall functionality and performance of the circuit.

3. How do I calculate the open-loop gain of an op amp?

The open-loop gain of an op amp can be calculated by measuring the output voltage when the input voltage difference is very small (close to 0). This is known as the DC gain and is typically provided in the op amp's datasheet. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the formula A = Vout/Vin, where Vin is the input voltage and Vout is the output voltage.

4. Can the value of V0 be negative in a complex op amp circuit?

Yes, the value of V0 can be negative if the input voltage at the inverting terminal (V-) is higher than the input voltage at the non-inverting terminal (V+). This indicates that the output voltage is inverted compared to the input voltage.

5. How does the feedback resistor affect the value of V0 in a complex op amp circuit?

The feedback resistor plays a crucial role in determining the value of V0. It sets the gain of the op amp circuit and can be used to adjust the output voltage based on the input voltage. A larger feedback resistor will result in a larger output voltage, while a smaller resistor will result in a smaller output voltage.