Solve OPAMP Circuit Problem: Find Vo with Vin1=3V, Vin2=-2V

In summary, the task was to find the output voltage (Vo) given specific input voltages and resistor values in a circuit with an ideal operational amplifier. After applying Kirchhoff's Current Law at node 2 and solving for V2, it was found that V2 should be 1.5V. However, the simulation in Multisim showed a different voltage due to an error in setting one of the resistor values. A reminder was given to be aware of the influence of simulation "voltmeters" on circuit behavior.
etf
Hi!
Here is my task:
Find output voltage Vo if Vin1=3V, Vin2=-2V, R1=R2=R3=100KΩ, R4=300KΩ, R5=150KΩ, VCC=15V.

kolo.jpg

simp.jpg

Applying KCL at node 2 we get:
$$-Iin2+I5-Icc=0$$
$$-\frac{V3-V2+Vin2}{R3}+\frac{V2-V3}{R5}-\frac{V3-V2+Vcc}{R4}=0$$
$$-\frac{Vin2-V2}{R3}+\frac{V2}{R5}-\frac{Vcc-V2}{R4}=0$$
$$V1=V2=\frac{Vin2/R3+Vcc/R4}{1/R3+1/R5+1/R4}=1.5V$$
But Multisim give me different voltage V2:

multi.png

As you can see, Multisim measure 3.226V.
Here is OPAMP setup (since it's ideal, I put some huge numbers for A and input resistance, output resistance is 0):

postavke1.jpg

Any idea what's wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your Multisim circuit you have set R3 to 300k, but the problem statement says it is 100k.

Likes 1 person
I can't figure out how I didn't see it :) Thanks!

etf said:
I can't figure out how I didn't see it :) Thanks!

Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes on the problem can pick out the things you miss repeatedly due to familiarity!

You might want to take note that in your simulation the "voltmeters" have an impedance of 10MΩ, and will influence the circuit behavior to some extent (it'll show up in the second or third digit of the values I'm guessing). So don't be surprised if your calculated values are almost but not quite the same as your "measured" ones!

There are a few possible reasons why the measured voltage V2 in Multisim may differ from the calculated value of 1.5V. The first thing to check would be the values of the resistors and the power supply voltage in the circuit. Make sure they are entered correctly and that there are no typos or mistakes in the values.

Another factor to consider is that the op amp in Multisim is an ideal op amp, which means it has infinite gain and infinite input resistance. In reality, op amps have limited gain and input resistance, so this could affect the accuracy of the simulation.

Also, make sure that the op amp in the circuit is correctly connected and that the positive and negative inputs are not accidentally reversed.

If after checking all of these factors, the measured voltage still differs significantly from the calculated value, there may be a problem with the simulation itself. In this case, it may be helpful to try the simulation with different values for the resistors and see if the results are consistent.

Overall, it is important to remember that simulations are not always 100% accurate and may have some discrepancies from the theoretical calculations. It is always a good idea to double check the values and connections in the circuit before assuming there is an error in the simulation.

1. How do I approach solving an OPAMP circuit problem?

To solve an OPAMP circuit problem, you will need to use the basic principles of circuit analysis and apply them to the specific circuit in question. This includes using Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the properties of operational amplifiers.

2. What is the significance of Vin1 and Vin2 in this circuit problem?

Vin1 and Vin2 are the input voltages in the problem. These values represent the voltage at the specified points in the circuit and are necessary to determine the output voltage, Vo.

3. How do I find the output voltage, Vo, in this circuit problem?

To find Vo, you will need to use the formula for the inverting amplifier configuration, which is Vo = -Rf/Ri * (Vin2 - Vin1). This formula takes into account the input voltages and the resistor values in the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of the operational amplifier in this circuit?

The operational amplifier, or op-amp, is a specialized electronic component that amplifies the difference between the two input voltages. It is used to increase the voltage level of the output signal.

5. Are there any assumptions or simplifications I can make when solving this circuit problem?

One assumption that can be made is that the op-amp is ideal, meaning it has infinite input impedance and zero output impedance. This simplifies the calculations and allows us to use the basic op-amp formula without considering the internal circuitry of the device.