1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic chemistry butene

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    But-2-ene reacts with bromine in the presence of concentrated aqueous sodium nitrate to give the following compound
    CH3-C(H)(ONO2)-C(H)(Br)-CH3

Which of the following statement is correct.
    a.the electrophile is NO2+
    b.Only 2,3-dibromobutane is formed.
    c.Resultant solution shows optical activity.
    d.Mechanism involves an initial electrophilic attack followed by nucleophilic attack
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that B is out cause you can have -Br and -OH instead of just 2-Br.
    C is also out because the compound can be attacked from both side(Trigonal planar)
    A or D is correct.D makes sense to me but isnt NO2+ a electrophile. In this case i would presume NO2+ is somehow formed which attacks OH group....If not what is the case???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

See, the halide molecule also polarize and form halide electrophile, in this case, Br+ can form. NaNO3 cannot give NO2+ ion, as it is obtained by "protonation" of nitric acid, which is not a simple task, considering nitric acid itself is very strong acid. That's what I feel.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Name these ions... NO3- and NO2+

Which one is present in your proposed mixture?

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

CH3-C(H)(ONO2)-C(H)(Br)-CH3

Care to elaborate, as chemisttree asked?

UPDATE: I have formed on paper the compound H3C-CH(ONO2)-CHBr-CH3, considering Nitrate group, albeit I am afraid I may have have bent some rules (which looks like the case, forming acid out of aqueous nitrate ions) And I have reached to following answers: C, D.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  6. Sep 3, 2012 #5
    The answer was given to be D only.
    The carbon is directly bonded to oxygen,and the oxygen directly bonded to NO2.So it seems to be O- and NO2+???And i presume the O- to be created from a alcohol group and the H+ is removed....
    Answer is not C as the compound is trigonal planar and can be attacked from both sides,hence a racemic mixture..
    But i don't understand how C(O)(NO2) is formed as it seems impossible to form NO2+ from this reaction....

7. Sep 3, 2012 #6

AGNuke

Gold Member

Esterification I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook