Annie's Wagon: Dragging a Crate with 1200 N of Friction

• Thread starter starprincess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, Annie uses her Subaru wagon to drag a crate of mulch with a steady acceleration of 2.00 m/s2. While dragging the crate, a frictional force of 1200 N acts on it in the opposite direction. The magnitude of the overall force exerted by the ground on Annie's car is 1.57 x 104 N, with a horizontal component determined by Newton's second law. The vertical component is found by considering the weight of the car and crate combined.
starprincess

Homework Statement

Annie uses her 1.50 x104 N Subaru wagon to drag a 2.00 x 103 N crate of mulch from the nd of her driveway. She uses a rope to attach the crate to the rear bumper of her wagon and she configures this connection so that her car will exert a horizontal force on the crate. She then gets into her car and accelerates it (and the crate) forward a steady rate of 2.00 m/s2. While Annie is thus dragging the crate along her driveway, a steady 1200 N frictional force acts on the crate, opposing its motion.

Homework Equations

Questions I'm having difficulty are:
1. The magnitude of the overall force which the ground exerts on Annie's car equals _____
(the answer is 1.57 x 104 N)

2. The overall force which the ground exerts on Annie's car is directed _____
(answer is above the positive x direction)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I would assume I need to add the weight of Annie's car and add that to the weight of the crate both which I get a combined 17000 N. This value does not match the correct answer.
2. I cannot find the answer to #2 until I have found the value for #1. From then on, I do not know how to figure it out.

Please help me! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi starprincess! :wink:
starprincess said:
Annie uses her 1.50 x104 N Subaru wagon to drag a 2.00 x 103 N crate of mulch from the nd of her driveway. She uses a rope to attach the crate to the rear bumper of her wagon and she configures this connection so that her car will exert a horizontal force on the crate. She then gets into her car and accelerates it (and the crate) forward a steady rate of 2.00 m/s2. While Annie is thus dragging the crate along her driveway, a steady 1200 N frictional force acts on the crate, opposing its motion.

1. The magnitude of the overall force which the ground exerts on Annie's car equals _____
(the answer is 1.57 x 104 N)

1. I would assume I need to add the weight of Annie's car and add that to the weight of the crate both which I get a combined 17000 N. This value does not match the correct answer.

No, the weight of the crate has nothing to do with the force which the ground exerts on Annie's car … try the vertical component again.

For the horizontal component, use good ol' Newton's second law for the car-and-crate combined …

what do you get? :smile:

1. What is the purpose of dragging a crate with 1200 N of friction?

The purpose of dragging a crate with 1200 N of friction is to measure the amount of force required to overcome the frictional force and move the crate. This can help determine the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface it is being dragged on, which is important for understanding the physics of motion and designing efficient transportation methods.

2. How is the frictional force calculated in this experiment?

The frictional force is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the crate and the surface by the normal force, which is equal to the weight of the crate. In this case, the normal force is 1200 N, so the frictional force would also be 1200 N if the coefficient of friction is 1.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction in this experiment?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by the type of surface the crate is being dragged on, the weight of the crate, and any external forces acting on the crate. It can also be influenced by the temperature and humidity of the environment, as well as any lubricants or materials added to the surface or crate.

4. How does the angle of the crate affect the frictional force?

The angle of the crate can affect the frictional force by changing the normal force acting on the crate. As the angle increases, the normal force decreases, and therefore the frictional force decreases as well. This is because the weight of the crate is acting more perpendicular to the surface, reducing the amount of force pushing the crate against the surface.

5. What is the significance of the results from this experiment?

The results from this experiment can be used to better understand the concept of friction and how it affects motion. They can also be applied in real-world situations, such as designing vehicles or transportation methods that minimize frictional forces to increase efficiency. Additionally, the results can contribute to the development of new materials or techniques that reduce friction and improve overall performance.