1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Overall Force

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Annie uses her 1.50 x104 N Subaru wagon to drag a 2.00 x 103 N crate of mulch from the nd of her driveway. She uses a rope to attach the crate to the rear bumper of her wagon and she configures this connection so that her car will exert a horizontal force on the crate. She then gets into her car and accelerates it (and the crate) forward a steady rate of 2.00 m/s2. While Annie is thus dragging the crate along her driveway, a steady 1200 N frictional force acts on the crate, opposing its motion.

2. Relevant equations

Questions I'm having difficulty are:
    1. The magnitude of the overall force which the ground exerts on Annie's car equals _____
    (the answer is 1.57 x 104 N)

2. The overall force which the ground exerts on Annie's car is directed _____
    (answer is above the positive x direction)

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I would assume I need to add the weight of Annie's car and add that to the weight of the crate both which I get a combined 17000 N. This value does not match the correct answer.
    2. I cannot find the answer to #2 until I have found the value for #1. From then on, I do not know how to figure it out.

Please help me! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi starprincess! :wink:
    No, the weight of the crate has nothing to do with the force which the ground exerts on Annie's car … try the vertical component again.

For the horizontal component, use good ol' Newton's second law for the car-and-crate combined …

what do you get? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook