How Do You Find Alternate Polar Coordinates with Different Signs for R?

No. See the attached image. Point A is the point you want, \left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right). Point B is \left( -2, \frac{\pi}{3} \right), the point that you are saying that is the same as point A. They are not the same.Not sure what you mean. The question asks for a different point having the same coordinates as the given point. The given point is \left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right). I'm still confused.In summary, the conversation discusses finding two other pairs of polar coordinates for a given point, one with a positive
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Find two other pairs of polar coordinates of the given polar coordinate, one with r > 0 and one with r < 0. Then plot the point.

(2, 5π/3)

Homework Equations

I don't there are any.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not completely sure of how to do this actually.

I know that we can add 2 pi to the answer to get the coordinates for r > 0 this gives an answer of [itex] (2,\frac{11\pi}{3} [/itex]

But I'm not sure about the r<0 option. Would I simply have to subtract 2 pi from 5 pi/3? In addition, would the r value change to the negative sign?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi stunner5000pt! :smile:
stunner5000pt said:
Find two other pairs of polar coordinates of the given polar coordinate, one with r > 0and one with r < 0.Then plot the point.

(2, 5π/3)

are you sure that isn't θ > 0 and θ < 0 ? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hi stunner5000pt! :smile:

I chekced again and yes it is R and not theta ...

tiny-tim said:

stunner5000pt said:
But I'm not sure about the r <0 option. Would I simply have to subtract 2 pi from 5 pi/3? In addition, would the r value change to the negative sign?
r can be negative. Think of yourself being in the origin of the coordinate plane, facing the positive y direction. If you walk in the positive y direction 5 units, then where you end up will correspond to
[itex]\left( 5, \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]
in polar coordinates.

Think of yourself back in the origin, facing the positive y direction. Now walk backwards 5 units. By "walking backwards" your r is negative. Since you are still facing the positive y direction, this point will correspond to
[itex]\left( -5, \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]
in polar coordinates. But this particular point is the same as facing the negative y direction and walking forwards 5 units, or
[itex]\left( 5, \frac{3\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]

Now see if you can answer your question.

eumyang said:
r can be negative. Think of yourself being in the origin of the coordinate plane, facing the positive y direction. If you walk in the positive y direction 5 units, then where you end up will correspond to
[itex]\left( 5, \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]
in polar coordinates.

Think of yourself back in the origin, facing the positive y direction. Now walk backwards 5 units. By "walking backwards" your r is negative. Since you are still facing the positive y direction, this point will correspond to
[itex]\left( -5, \frac{\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]
in polar coordinates. But this particular point is the same as facing the negative y direction and walking forwards 5 units, or
[itex]\left( 5, \frac{3\pi}{2} \right)[/itex]

Now see if you can answer your question.

Thanks for your advice

based on what you have said, in the case of (2, 5pi/3), the moment arm for the 'backward' motion is in the second quadrant

If we 'walked' backward that would be [itex] (-2, \frac{5\pi}{3}) [/itex]
for the 'positive' motion it would be [itex] (2, \frac{2\pi}{3}) [/itex]

How does this sound?

stunner5000pt said:
Thanks for your advice

based on what you have said, in the case of (2, 5pi/3), the moment arm for the 'backward' motion is in the second quadrant

If we 'walked' backward that would be [itex] (-2, \frac{5\pi}{3}) [/itex]
for the 'positive' motion it would be [itex] (2, \frac{2\pi}{3}) [/itex]

How does this sound?
Not quite. The three points you state are not the same. The three points I used in my example were not the same either - the last two formed a separate example from the first.

The question is this: which direction would you have to "face", if, when walking "backwards" 2 units, you end up at the same point as (2, 5π/3)? In other words,
[itex]\left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right) = \left( -2, ? \right)[/itex]
Then you also need to consider coterminal angles.

eumyang said:
Not quite. The three points you state are not the same. The three points I used in my example were not the same either - the last two formed a separate example from the first.

The question is this: which direction would you have to "face", if, when walking "backwards" 2 units, you end up at the same point as (2, 5π/3)? In other words,
[itex]\left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right) = \left( -2, ? \right)[/itex]
Then you also need to consider coterminal angles.

if we walked backward, then the angle would be pi/3

As for the answer with r > 0, the answer wuld be (2, -pi/3)

Is that correct?

stunner5000pt said:
if we walked backward, then the angle would be pi/3 not correct

As for the answer with r > 0, the answer would be (2, -pi/3) correct

Is that correct?
See the red comments.

stunner5000pt said:
if we walked backward, then the angle would be pi/3

Sorry, that's still not correct. It may help if you looked at a polar coordinate grid like the one on this site.

Last edited:
eumyang said:
Sorry, that's still not correct. It may help if you looked at a polar coordinate grid like the one on this site.

Hmm... ok (2, -pi/3) is correct. This is because if we have a positive moment arm, the angle would be measured negative as we rotate clockwise

for the negative angle, wouldn't the angle be the same? But since the r is negative, would that imply that if we rotate clockwise, we get a positive angle?
would that mean that for r = -2, the angle should be + pi/3?

stunner5000pt said:
Hmm... ok (2, -pi/3) is correct. This is because if we have a positive moment arm, the angle would be measured negative as we rotate clockwise

for the negative angle, wouldn't the angle be the same? But since the r is negative, would that imply that if we rotate clockwise, we get a positive angle?
would that mean that for r = -2, the angle should be + pi/3?
No. See the attached image. Point A is the point you want, [itex]\left( 2, \frac{5\pi}{3} \right)[/itex]. Point B is [itex]\left( -2, \frac{\pi}{3} \right)[/itex], the point that you are saying that is the same as point A. They are not the same.

Attachments

• polar_coord_ques.png
    polar_coord_ques.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 893
In polar coordinates, the radial coordinate r is always positive.

I am so confused

SO let's start from the top

if we consider a point [itex] \left( 2,\frac{5\pi}{3} \right) [/itex]
then for r> 0 [itex] \left( 2,\frac{11 \pi}{3} \right) [/itex]
and for r < 0 [itex] \left( -2,\frac{2\pi}{3} \right) [/itex]

obtained r > 0 by simply rotating once (+2 pi)
obtained r < 0 by rotating half circle (- pi)

Chestermiller said:
Who says?
stunner5000pt said:
I am so confused

SO let's start from the top

if we consider a point [itex] \left( 2,\frac{5\pi}{3} \right) [/itex]
then for r> 0 [itex] \left( 2,\frac{11 \pi}{3} \right) [/itex]
and for r < 0 [itex] \left( -2,\frac{2\pi}{3} \right) [/itex]

obtained r > 0 by simply rotating once (+2 pi)
obtained r < 0 by rotating half circle (- pi)
Bingo! :smile:

oay said:
Who says?

Every math book that I've ever seen. I challenge you to site one single reference in which r in polar coordinates is considered anything but positive (or zero).

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Every math book that I've ever seen. I challenge you to site one single reference in which r in polar coordinates is considered anything but positive (or zero).
Well apart from at least one other person on this thread saying so, and at least one link on this thread to a website saying so...

Even the Wiki page for Polar Coordinates says so. (Although, I will agree that Wiki is not always Gospel.)

Chestermiller said:

oay said:
Who says?

Bingo! :smile:

Chestermiller said:

Plot ##r = \sin (3\theta)## for ##\theta## from ##0## to ##\pi## and you will see an nice 3 leaved rose with one leaf plotted with ##r<0##.

stunner5000pt said:
I am so confused
I don't blame you.

It's clear that this argument concerning polar coordinates is not helping you understand how to solve this problem you have been given.

Try looking at the case of r = -2 as follows.

In Cartesian coordinates, the point you're working with is [itex]\displaystyle \ (x,\, y)=\left(1,\,-\sqrt{3}\right)\ .[/itex]

In general, x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ).

For this point, you then have [itex]\displaystyle \ 1=(-2)\cos(\theta)\ \text{ and }\ -\sqrt{3}=(-2)\sin(\theta) \ .[/itex]

This gives you [itex]\displaystyle \ \cos(\theta)=-\,\frac{1}{2}\ \text{ and }\ \sin(\theta) =\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \ .[/itex]

Thus the angle, θ, is in the second quadrant.

Chestermiller said:
Precalculus by Larson (8th ed.) refers to r as a "directed distance from O to P" (p. 777) and it states that "another way to obtain multiple representations of a point is to use negative values for r" (p. 778).

Precalculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic by Demana/Waits/Foley/Kennedy (7th ed.) states that "r is the directed distance from O to P" and that "if r < 0 then P is on the terminal side of θ + π" (both on p. 534)

That's two references, and I think it's safe to say that you are mistaken.

oay said:
Well apart from at least one other person on this thread saying so, and at least one link on this thread to a website saying so...

Even the Wiki page for Polar Coordinates says so. (Although, I will agree that Wiki is not always Gospel.)

Actually, Wiki is a little schizophrenic on this. First the say "The radial distance ρ is the Euclidean distance from the z axis to the point P." This can only be positive. But then they say something about allowing negative values of ρ to locate a point.

In a 40 year career as an engineer/mathematician, I have never seen negative values of ρ being used in practice. So maybe negative values of ρ are only found in Ivory Tower land.

thank you all for your help.

As for r being negative... please contact the author of Stewart's Calculus (whose name is Stewart :D) and ask him what he thinks becuase this question was derived from that textbook and put on the online assignment for a Calculus II class

Related to How Do You Find Alternate Polar Coordinates with Different Signs for R?

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of locating points in a two-dimensional space, using a distance from a fixed point (known as the pole) and an angle from a fixed direction (known as the polar axis). This system is typically used in math and science to describe the position of objects in a circular or spherical environment.

2. How do you convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
where r is the distance from the pole and theta is the angle from the polar axis.

3. What is the difference between polar and rectangular coordinates?

The main difference between polar and rectangular coordinates is the way they represent points in a two-dimensional space. While rectangular coordinates use x and y values to describe the position of a point in a grid-like system, polar coordinates use a distance and angle from a fixed point. This makes polar coordinates more suitable for describing circular or spherical environments.

4. What is the importance of polar coordinates in science?

Polar coordinates are important in science because they offer a more intuitive way of representing and analyzing circular or spherical systems. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in a circular or spherical environment. They are also useful in solving complex mathematical equations and making certain geometric calculations.

5. Can polar coordinates be used in three-dimensional space?

Polar coordinates can be used in three-dimensional space, known as spherical coordinates. In this system, a third coordinate, known as the azimuth, is added to the distance and angle values. This allows for the representation of points in a spherical environment, such as the surface of a sphere or a planet. Spherical coordinates are commonly used in astronomy and physics to describe the position of objects in the universe.