Parachutist drops a camera

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the camera takes approximately 3.47 seconds to reach the ground when dropped from an altitude of 50m at a speed of 10m/s. The equation for its height is -4.9t2- 10t+ 50 and the positive root of this equation gives the time at which the camera reaches the ground.
ms. confused
A parachutist descending at a speed of 10m/s drops a camera from an altitude of 50m. How long does it take the camera to reach the ground?

Is speed the same thing as velocity in this case? If not, what do I do? I assumed it was the same and went: Vi= 10; a=-9.8; d=50 goes into formula d=Vit + 1/2at^2. But something's wrong... :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
The camera is moving down initially, so vi has to be negative.

I keep getting a negative root when I try to do the quadratic formula. WHY? Wait, I tried a different formula and now I get negative time which is impossible. Are you sure it's supposed to be -10m/s?

Last edited:
I forgot to say something: d is negative, too.

That's because d=y-y0. If your initial height is 50 m and your final height is 0 m, you can see that d=-50 m.

First establish your coordinate system: Take the ground to be 0, positive upward. Then a= -9.8 m/s2, initial velocity= -10 m/s, initial height= 50 m.
The equation for height of the camera is -4.9t2- 10t+ 50 and we want to determine when the height will be 0-
Solve -4.9t2- 10t+ 50= 0. One root will be negative- that's the time at which if you had thrown the camera up into the air it would now be at 50 m with downward velocity of -10 m/s. Obviously, you want the positive root.

1. What is the purpose of a parachutist dropping a camera?

The purpose of a parachutist dropping a camera is to capture aerial footage or images from a unique perspective. This can be used for various purposes such as scientific research, surveillance, or recreational purposes.

2. How does a camera survive the impact of landing after being dropped by a parachutist?

Most cameras used for this purpose are equipped with protective casings or are specially designed to withstand high impact forces. Additionally, the camera may be attached to the parachutist's body or secured to the parachute itself to minimize the impact upon landing.

3. What type of cameras are typically used for aerial footage by parachutists?

There are various cameras that can be used for this purpose, including action cameras, drones, or specialized aerial cameras. The type of camera used often depends on the specific purpose and budget of the parachutist.

4. How do parachutists control the camera while in the air?

Parachutists can use various methods to control the camera while in the air, such as using a remote control, voice commands, or physical controls attached to their gear. Some cameras may also have features such as automatic stabilization to improve the quality of the footage.

5. Are there any safety precautions that parachutists must take when using a camera during a jump?

Yes, it is important for parachutists to follow safety protocols and receive proper training before attempting to use a camera during a jump. This may include securing the camera properly, being aware of potential hazards, and ensuring that the camera does not interfere with the proper deployment of the parachute.